What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis and Aliciae

Hey, I started growing sundews since this year and now that I have my first seedlings from seed and water-flow method, i thought that i may share some pictures with you guys :blush:
The seedlings i got them with the mother plant(s), from the store. So i believe that they were grown without any plastic foil over the pot or something. And they are growing pretty damn good.
The seedlings from water have now one month since i've put the petiol into the media, and they are that big. And some other parts of the petion still show signs of sprouting more plants.
Question: when should i plant the seedlings from water into peat?

:boogie:

One thing you could do is prepare a pot with soil media and put it into a taller plastic container. Fill the plastic container with water such that the pot is totally engulfed. Place the sprouts in the pot, which will still be in water and allow the sprouts to nestle into the media while the water evaporates.

Should i put the plantlets in this media now, at this size?
And, how can i sterilize the vase where im putting the water and the leaf/root cut to avoid forming mold? Because out of three containers which i had to try this method, because it was my first time, two were showing mold on the side of the container, and this one i managed to stop mold from forming further by lifting the cover for one hour/day, after the sun sets, so it will not be so much humidity and to let some air circulate through, and i wipe any mold forming on the container.

Thanks,
Andy.

Congrats on your success!
You could plant them right now, or you can give them a bit more time... I usually wait until a few leaves grow, but it doesn't really matter. I've waited for 2 months when I was away from home and came back to these leaf cuttings:
Leaf_cuttings_Drosera_filiformis_Red_post.JPG

larger:http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/filiformis/Leaf_cuttings_Drosera_filiformis_Red.JPG
So the leaf was already completely brown and the plants had small roots.
Some people prefer starting leaf cuttings on the media to begin with.
You should thoroughly rinse your peat moss before using it, since it appears that your peat is very nutrient rich. My peat formed a ton of mold before I started rinsing it. Mixing some sand in, or using only long-fibered sphagnum can help too.
Rinsing links:
http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_peat_and_sand_for_carnivorous_plants.html
http://cpfaq.org/showpost.php?p=727239&postcount=5

Thanks for the help! Fortunatelly i have read that rinsing method from growsundews, because i've just put some aliciae seeds and without that info I would've got a lot of mold, for sure.

My plantlets don't have any root system yet. Or it's so small that i can't see it. I think i will wait to have some. The cuts are in the water for one month and 3 days now, so i think i will wait as you said, for two months in total.

Why do you say that my media is full of nutrients?

Again, thanks for the advice!
Andy.

CPlantaholic.. i.e. Aaron.. i.e. IS the growsundews guy. Just FYI.. ;)

I've done both.. transplanted with and without roots. IMesperience I've had better (out of tank) success when waiting for roots to visibly show.

Ah, cool :D
Then i will wait few more weeks for roots to develop.
I recon that when all my capensis and aliciae babies grow little bit bigger I will start ask for new homes for them :p .
Also, i have some fresh Aliciae seeds if someone in Europe or better, near Romania, want some.

Back