What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Not a Number: I have to say that your pygmy photos do tempt me to grow some of a group I haven't really considered.

P6305233-Copy.jpg

D. x hybrida - tetraploid, fertile.

I was recently given some leaf cuttings from the tetraploid D. x hybrida. Do you know what the story is there?

Looks like you got the cuttings from John B. :)

D. hybrida was introduced into Butterfly Valley (famous for being where Darlingtonia was first "discovered" by Europeans) maybe a couple decades ago. The culprits have been identified but will remain nameless. Harry Tryon either collected seeds or cuttings from a plant in-situ before the cleanup which turned out to be fertile. This is a natural alloploid and has not been treated with Colchicine to induce polyploidy. The population of D. hybrida has since been eradicated as it is a protected environment. John B. reports one of the plants in his collection that was taken during the eradication appears to have produced fertile seed also.

The plant I have is one of Harry's seedlings. John B. should be publishing a follow up article to his previous article on D. hybrida in the CPN.

Thanks! 'Quite the interesting story.

wanted to share the progress of my petiolaris drosera. im pretty excited about these. i did not take any photos of the paradoxa since i recently decapitated it and kenneallyi has entered its unattractive dormancy phase (ie dying back to a little turd)

ordensis, wide leaf form:
9354040587_a9bda74bcf_o.png

fulva
9356817484_b610f0563a_o.png

dilatatopetiolaris
9354040793_d24be363b8_o.png

lanata
9356817348_faf39df62a_o.png

falconeri
9356817248_6a1ea99252_o.png

caduca, the one on the left isnt dead. it's sleeping. no really, for realz.
9356968500_d61c389153_o.png

thanks for taking a look. here's an artsy fartsy shot of lanata as a token of appreciation:
9354203559_70ce3a3c76_o.png

A nice and thriving collection. Maybe your pics will inspire me to do something about mine.:glare:

A nice and thriving collection. Maybe your pics will inspire me to do something about mine.:glare:

haha. thanks blue. i appreciate that. these plants seem to be the only ones that consistently perform well for me--- aside from dormancy issues. i noticed in the revised savage garden, that Peter noted temps for petiolaris dews to be around 60-90F. I would advise growers to push for 75F-125F to avoid complications associated with dormancy. my aquarium heater which heats my watering tray, is set at 89F which allows the heat to persist when the lights turn off. it will be almost impossible to kill these plants with heat (provided there is water) as Adam Cross has noted soil temperatures of petiolaris habitats to be roughly 135F.

Going to add in a little on this thread:
Drosera "venusta": received this as seeds from I believe wireman, they have white flowers though, so I'm not positive on the ID

Plants I believe are D. admirabilis

D. sessilifolia

D. capillaris Long Arm

D. anglica Oregon

D. madagascariensis

D. sp. Lantau Island

D. rotundifolia

One of my favorites right now, I received these seeds as D. capillaris Florida, but I believe they are a cross with intermedia

And lastly, D. intermedia Carolina Giant. These always manage to surpass 4 inches across for me.

There is a white flowered "albino" form of what is supposed to be D. venusta going around. I haven't seen an actual clone of the plant in person. It may just be the angle of the photograph but the characteristic upright growth of the new leaves (angle depends on age of the leaf) isn't obvious. Debbert makes a big deal about this in his description. Here are the drawings (and seed photograph) from Debbert's diagnosis. Figure 2 shows the spread of leaf angles. You can also compare the stigma (8), stipules (4), and scape (5) to see if they match.

Dvenusta.jpg

Here are pictures of the seed flower and plant from my collection. Compare them with Debbert's drawing and your plant
IMGP5791_zpsfbdf6def.jpg

IMGP5355copy_zpsefc5bf11.jpg

IMGP5354copy_zps4a0296f0.jpg

IMGP5350copy_zps2923eb51.jpg

dvenusta2-1.jpg

Long arm/leaf D. capillaris have been suspected of being introgressed hybrids with D. intermedia but I believe Ivan Snyder was able to determine they are not.

Last edited:
My plants are semi-upright as they grow out, it's just the angle of the pic. What confuses me is the fact that the plants aren't quite as hairy as I've seen in pics, and on the flowers the ovary isn't quite that big, neither are the pollen sacs on the anthers. Otherwise it seems close enough......
As for the capillaris/intermedia hybrid, I have the long arm variety (as pictured above) and the leaves simply don't match. They are perfectly intermediate between the species, and the flowers never fully open, nor produce viable seeds. Color of the semi-visible petals is also intermediate. Whatever they may be, though, they are fantastic specimens.

There are notable difference between the flower structures of D. capensis and D. capensis "Red" so differences might be expected. I just recreated the D. capensis 'Albino' × aliciae cross as well as crossing D. aliciae × capensis "Red". Unfortunately the reciprocal crosses didn't bear seed. I'm looking for a reliable grower how can grow from seed to maturity, is observant enough to compare structures and will not sell these plants and seeds on eBay. Interested? We could swap from some of the "albino" D. venusta seed.

If the D. "capillaris" appears to be infertile then perhaps it is a hybrid.

Awesome collection by the way.

Unfortunately I sent the last of the seeds I collected from the venustas to the ICPS, but within a few weeks I should have a bunch again (these things are also very prolific in flowering), so I don't have those for trade at the moment, though I've been wanting to get some capensis hybrids in my collection. It would be interesting to try and start doing some more scientific observations in regards to these plants too.....
Well, maybe in a few weeks. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can manage to catch a flower that's open.

I just started growing sundews. I have a couple of d. intermedia outside in one of the mini bogs, but decided to try some of the easier sub-tropicals in a terrarium.

The d. capensis alba is in its preferred spot, I think.

I thought I probably wouldn't care much for the rosette dews, but I was surprised.
d. tokaiensis

The way this flower is growing is wild...what's up with all the 90 degree turns?

d. capensis wide leaf

d. capensis narrow leaf, red

d. capensis narrow leaf

It's been a while since I've contributed to the Dew Line!
P8010263_zps6409b975.jpg

Young regia
P8050266_zpsa5088fc8.jpg

Dichrosepala flower
P8050267_zps113175b3.jpg

Small Slackii
P8050281_zpsdd41aa68.jpg

P8050270_zpsae0b83d6.jpg

P7230221_zpse15cb958.jpg

A field of pulchella
P8050280_zps6e5d63e2.jpg

Oblanceolata
P8050283_zpsf5212ca4.jpg

My first tuberous sundew, D. peltata.
P7230242_zps31c71724.jpg

Lasiantha growing tall.

Here's the only pic I managed to get of the "venusta alba" flower. Darn camera hates focusing on small, up-close things:

Byblis 'Goliath' × guehoi F2 generation

IMGP5916_zps4ed79e93.jpg

shot was taken ~15 feet away, hand-held with a 1000mm lens. Photo cropped about 10% for composition.

IMGP6050_zpsb6bbeea3.jpg

neo D. tokaiensis (man-made fertile)

IMGP6050_zpsb6bbeea3.jpg

neo D. tokaiensis (man-made fertile)

I'm guessing this is the same variety I grow judging from the mass of seedlings I have growing this year. Tokaiensis is underrated in my book.

I'm guessing this is the same variety I grow judging from the mass of seedlings I have growing this year. Tokaiensis is underrated in my book.

I agree. They are small, easy, and pretty. What about that is bad? lol

DSCF1439_zps0f0dea34.jpg

Going to add in a little on this thread:
Drosera "venusta": received this as seeds from I believe wireman, they have white flowers though, so I'm not positive on the ID

Plants I believe are D. admirabilis

D. sessilifolia

D. capillaris Long Arm

D. anglica Oregon

D. madagascariensis

D. sp. Lantau Island

D. rotundifolia

One of my favorites right now, I received these seeds as D. capillaris Florida, but I believe they are a cross with intermedia

And lastly, D. intermedia Carolina Giant. These always manage to surpass 4 inches across for me.
I received D.capillaris from Dean Cook that look just like the one you believe to be a hybrid with intermedia. Interesting looking dew whatever it is.

Actually, to update on that, after many many months of having the plant, I have finally actually produced what appears to be viable seeds, so if they end up germinating I may have to change the label back to capillaris FL. That makes me really wonder about the identity of the plants I received from seeds as cap. Long Arm, though, as they're starting to make me think "tokaiensis."

Back