What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

It's always fun to check in on this thread and see what's being posted. 'Good stuff.

Seed tubes - a good idea for species wanting long root space but not really needing width. I wish my D. cistiflora looked half that good.

Do you know how long it takes for them to start climbing? I saw some for sale a month ago but they looked like rosettes, so I didn't buy them.

These started upright growth about a month after waking up from dormancy. They starting waking up about the beginning of the year. I have some others that woke up beginning of February and haven't started climbing yet. Much of it depends on how mature the plants are to begin with and feeding certainly helps.

From seed I wouldn't expect them to start climbing until the second or third year but you never know. I had a D. hookeri seedling start upright growth only after a few months.

Drosera dichrosepala
IMGP7099_zps3e1c82e1.jpg

D.graomogolensis

:awesome:

What a gorgeous color on that flower! Nicely done.

It's nice to see graomogolensis in bloom. :) I would enjoy seeing the flowers when they are fully opened. Does anyone know if they are self-fertile?

Yay it finally opened up all the way! Look at all that nice pollen..

Get your paintbrush out and make like a bee. Even though the species is probably self-incompatible. And Fernando reported that even in the wild it doesn't seem to be very fertile.

Thez-yo - thanks for posting the open flowers. Good luck with the pollination!

Here's another bloom before it's done..

'Nice-looking 'dews, STpaMan. Are the last ones D. paradoxa?

D. slackii

I was about to separate these 3 so I thought I'd better snap a few shots for historical reasons. The center plant is fully 4 inches (9.8 cm ) across.

P5126237cd.jpg

P5126237c.jpg

Amazing plants. Slackii is one of the more elegant-looking sundews in my opinion. Did they all start from one plant or did you already have three from the beginning?

Amazing plants. Slackii is one of the more elegant-looking sundews in my opinion. Did they all start from one plant or did you already have three from the beginning?

Thank you. About 4 years ago(?) I started with one plant smaller than either of the smaller two in the picture. I wonder if this mightn't be an especially large-growing clone. The root mass in the pot when I separated them was amazing. When it is healthy and has run the length and width of the pot with its roots it seems to send up new sprouts.

Back