What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

Congrats on the graminifolia, NaN. Anything special needed to get that species to strike?

Beautifully grown, Mickey.

Ambient temperatures, lots of light and plenty of patience.

Is the bloodworm freeze dried? Misting lightly to re-hydrate the bloodworm makes the task of digestion much easier. Otherwise the dry bits tend to soak up the moisture in the dew and the glands may not be able to produce enough to compensate before the gland dries out. Leads to incomplete digestion (indigestion)?

With seedlings I only feed one leaf at a time and try to clean off the left overs before feeding again.

yes they are freeze dried. i leave them in water for a bit for my fish but had never thought of doing the same for the plants. i was giving them dry, the leaf would curl around it but go dry in a few days and then completely blacken. the new leaves would be bigger so they must be getting something but the eating leaf always died. your view makes a lot of sense, thanks much NaN.

D. trinervia time-lapse (click on image)

It doesn't seem you can embed videos from photobucket right now.

Last edited:
Nifty :)

That was fun. And it's a good trick making the photo a live link.

It looks like this was one of the 30 days or so out of the year that this species has decent looking dew so a picture or two was in order.

D. hamiltonii - starting to color up nicely
IMGP4032.jpg

IMGP4038.jpg

IMGP4033.jpg

D. aliciae
IMGP4035.jpg

Not bad for using a ~40 year old lens

Very nice looking dews NaN!! You mention that your D. hamiltonii only has nice dew 30 days out of the year? Mine are dew making machines. Now the D. aliciae....that's another story. My plants look like death for 9 months out of the year then they suddenly start to grow and produce dew.

Which lens did you use for these pictures?

I am finding that D. aliciae doesn't do well in bright conditions. Too much sun for me ends up with stunted very red plants. Nice and red, but super tiny.... Also guessing it may want a cool period. Hamiltonii always looks shirty for me...

Which lens did you use for these pictures?

Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f4
(M42 screwmount circa 1971). I get infinity focus on my DSLR but only 0.5x magnification. 1x with an extension tube but no infinity focus. I'm impressed with the color rendition from this lens. The 100mm is more desirable since it has more working distance between the subject and lens but goes for around twice as much as the 50mm. I love the compact size.

I am finding that D. aliciae doesn't do well in bright conditions. Too much sun for me ends up with stunted very red plants. Nice and red, but super tiny.... Also guessing it may want a cool period. Hamiltonii always looks shirty for me...

D. trinervia gets red, short, stubby leaves under bright conditions too. Here's another D. aliciae in the same pot, just exposed to more sun. Partially out of focus because I didn't stop down the lens to get a better DOF. This one's trying to imitate D. slackii for leaf shape.

D. aliciae
IMGP4034.jpg

D. trinervia gets red, short, stubby leaves under bright conditions too. Here's another D. aliciae in the same pot, just exposed to more sun. Partially out of focus because I didn't stop down the lens to get a better DOF. This one's trying to imitate D. slackii for leaf shape.

full sun
DSC_00210002.jpg

partial
DSC_00220003.jpg

back side of greenhouse away from door
DSC_00230004.jpg

Hmm. I grow my D. aliciae under lights. I've moved them from bright conditions (well bright for my setup) to lower light conditions. They still do the same thing. Look nice for a little while, then spend the rest of their time trying to die. It's one species that doesn't like me. D. hamiltonii looks nice just about anywhere I put it. It's practically a weed for me now.

My D. aliciae, only one left lol. I think I have a night time visitor of some sort. I have slime trails in a few of my pots, but it never seems to munch on anything.
aliciae.jpg

D. hamilitonii
ham2.jpg

D. hamilitonii in another location. Some of these will find their way into the NASC auction.
ham1.jpg

Beautiful full sun D. aliciae Mach! They don't even look like D. aliciae as compact as they are. A few months ago I had a pot full that looked similar to your last photo. When I repotted everything I believe I just threw them out they looked so bad. I can't find them, so I'm thinking that's what I did. I have some seeds left, guess I need to sow some more.

Crystal

The sun was down when i took a look at my D. hamiltonii and they are nice and dewy again. Probably from the high humidity from rain. I'll have to take better pictures if the sun comes out tomorrow;

IMGP4600.jpg

IMGP4598.jpg

Last edited:
Dude! That hamiltonii is going to bloom! :clap: Congrats and 'hope you get a picture.

IMGP4601copy.jpg

Wow! I hope my D. hamiltonnii flower some day!

@Kula: Seeing how red those 'dews are outside gets me excited for summer. I'm putting a few tropicals and semi-tropicals outside this year.

I'll post some pics later today of some meh looking plants.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Good plants

D. collinsiae is putting out tall leaves again after flowering. I keep on accidentally touching the ends of the leaves, so the tentacles are strange and there is no dew on the ends of the leaves. It's still healthy, though.
7071047429_15abe4902f_z.jpg

D. burmannii Pilliga red is looking nice. I'm hoping for a flower stalk soon.
7071055061_5744d3dbd4_z.jpg

Bad

Aliciae form that is sensitive to minerals or something in the peat. It sometimes makes deformed leaves
6924972414_cc2cd5492a_z.jpg

ugly

No colour in the oblanceolata seedlings yet. Only a couple leaves on each with colour. I've been feeding them a lot.
6924975446_5e1d9ce8a0_c.jpg

Congrats on the D. hamiltonii flower NaN! I've grown them for a couple years and no flowers. I expect it's due to my laziness regarding my timers. It's been a few years since I've increased and decreased them for the seasons....oops!

It's more a matter of luck than anything else. The only people that I know that have gotten flowers from this species are Barry Rice and William "Tamlin" Dawnstar and only once for them so far in 8-10 years.

I've been growing this for 6 years now. I repotted them last year and this winter moved the pot where it gets much more sunlight all year round. I'm trying to get the rich chocolate/blackcherry-red color this species will develop.

Last edited:
In a previous incarnation I grew hamiltonii for 4 years complete with seasonal photo-period and temperature changes. It never offered to flower for me. 'Cool-looking scape.

'Nice shots, Devon.

Drosophyllum looking a bit nasty these days...(but it smells great!)

drosodew.jpg

Back