What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dew Line

The warm weather has been very good for the plants, but not the water bill.

D. admirabilis - shot in open shade and under direct sun so you can see what a difference lighting makes
IMGP7782copy.jpg

IMGP7769copy.jpg

D. madagascarensis Presqu’ile de Masoala, Madagascar - I moved this indoors the first winter I had it 3-4 years ago. I never bothered to put it outdoors again until a few weeks ago. It has died back to the roots 2-3 times although the last time was from being choked out by D. aliciae. What does it do? It starts to flower.
IMGP7786copy.jpg

love those admirabilis..

Man-made D. × tokaiensis - non-fertile (triploid?) pink vs white flower
IMGP7671.jpg

IMGP7672.jpg

really great pics, everyone!!! I was a bit worried that the Ultramafica would prove to be spatulata 'Tamlin' or something similar, but Ron's pics alleviate some of my worries, since they look like Siggi's pics from a while back.

really great pics, everyone!!! I was a bit worried that the Ultramafica would prove to be spatulata 'Tamlin' or something similar, but Ron's pics alleviate some of my worries, since they look like Siggi's pics from a while back.
It 'seems' like the real deal to my very non-discerning eyes. The largest is unfurling a stalk - so that should be interesting.

Edit: after looking at the pics, my plants looks identical to Siggi's but quite different from Francois Mey's plants -- again to my taxonomically-deficient eyes ...
Where did you get yours Ron? Was it from one of the CZ shops, or domestically as seed? I got mine from BCP. Should be legit...
Mine are the same clone's as CPlantaholic's. I also have a few growing from seed (different source) but they are exceedingly slow and have been overgrown by mosses a few times with some casualties.

Also, I wouldn't say that because Kamil sells something that it is a confirmed ID. He sells a U. longifolia x U. alpina that appears identical to a U. longifolia (although I now see that he has added question marks by it). In other words, he can be quick to list a plant without having 100% confirmed ID (imho).

Last edited:
Where did you get yours Ron? Was it from one of the CZ shops, or domestically as seed? I got mine from BCP. Should be legit...

Added 09/07/12 6:24PM:

Yeah, was referring to the location data as "seeming legit" it comes from some difficult to pronounce mountain in Palawan (Mt. Matanjang something....) hopefully the included location data means it is the true species, but who knows? My small plants appear to resemble Francois smaller plants, hopefully they are the samething.

Good luck with your seeds! Hopefully they will eventually do as well as your plants.

Last edited:
Drosera Intermedia "Cuba" is putting out some really nice leaves!

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_1328.jpg

And the Adelae Clump :)

DSC_1253.jpg

DSC_1260.jpg

DSC_1281.jpg

Drosera Roseana

DSC_1211.jpg

DSC_1194.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

oh boy, well after looking into things a bit further tonight, it seems as tho Siggi has come upon a realization about his "D. ultramafica" recently X/: http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.php?/topic/33234-drosera-ultramafica/#entry152894 (It's all in German).
Even Tobias, who received seeds from Siggi is certainly growing D. spatulata based on his picture here: http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.php?/topic/33234-drosera-ultramafica/#entry152046

Here is a picture of the same plants grown by Tobias, which look eerily similar to ours:
img12041j.jpg

So at least we now know there are mix-ups occurring out there. I'll have to email him for more details, but I'm guessing this is what happened, based on the pictures on that thread:
1. Grower receives Ultramafica seeds and sows them
2. a rogue spatulata pops up along with a few true D. ultramafica
3. D. spatulata looks somewhat similar when young, so they collected seeds from this plant
4. Sowed a pot full of D. spatulata labeled as "ultramafica"
5. Traded with many german growers, one of which sends some seeds to unsuspecting grower in US
6. horrible mis-labeling "pandemic" ensues.

It 'seems' like the real deal to my very non-discerning eyes. The largest is unfurling a stalk - so that should be interesting.

Edit: after looking at the pics, my plants looks identical to Siggi's but quite different from Francois Mey's plants -- again to my taxonomically-deficient eyes ...
Mine are the same clone's as CPlantaholic's. I also have a few coming from seed (different source) but they are exceedingly slow and have been overgrown by mosses a few times with some casualties.

Also, I wouldn't say that because Kamil sells something that it is a confirmed ID. He sells a U. longifolia x U. alpina that appears identical to a U. longifolia (although I now see that he has added question marks by it). In other words, he can be quick to list a plant without having 100% confirmed ID (imho).

Last edited:
Despite the fact that most of the D. ultramafica out there are D. spatulata, I really like them! They look like an awesome form of D. spatulata.

Matriarch graomo :)
IMG_4490_hf.jpg

My oldest and my most favorite Drosera...

mother of thousands

haha I wish I had your optimistic attitude :D
btw, your collinsiae pic you posted a while ago was sooooooo good.

Key them out from the diagnosis in the monograph. Seed is a often a very good identifier of species:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/nhn/blumea/2011/00000056/00000001/art00004

A have some seedlings via seed from Robert Gibson which probably came from Stewart McPherson. They aren't growing at all. Ivan didn't have any luck with them either. Might be the real deal.

A have some seedlings via seed from Robert Gibson which probably came from Stewart McPherson. They aren't growing at all. Ivan didn't have any luck with them either. Might be the real deal.
I suspect that my seedlings may also be the real deal since they are growing so slowly (& the source is extremely reliable). It would be nice if we could get one or two plants growing & then share some leaves. Francois's comments in his blog indicate that the flowers are not self-pollinating - hopefully they are self-fertile.

If D. ultramafica is related to D. neocaledonica it might like tropical/LL conditions. D. neocaledonica is a notorious slow grower unless given tropical conditions. There was talk on CP UK that D. neocaledonica needs ultramafic/basic substrate for long term growth too. This might be true of D. utramafica also, reports otherwise might be based on D. spatulata (the great impersonator).

Cuttings, high time to repot them

D. glabripes
IMGP7901copy.jpg

D. regia (and D. glabripes)
IMGP7905copy.jpg

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a very long time! Incredible work Warren!

Heres a picture of my drosera spatulata seedlings sprouted a few weeks ago. (thanks for the seeds Aaron)
02A42A3E-1.jpg

Theyre a little crowded because i overplanted expecting less germination for year old seeds. To my surprise they germinated like crazy and now i have like 50 in one pot. :D

A few months ago, a grower/buddy sent me some T/C dews & threw in a few of a hybrid -- D. capensis "Alba" x D. aliciae. When I first started to grow them, I thought they were indeed the hybrid. After a while, I thought the new plant was just another D. capensis "Alba". Lately, I've been migrating back to my original thinking - that this may be indeed a hybrid (mostly due to tentacle density). By a serendipitous fluke, the only D. capensis I'm currently growing is an "Alba" form (extra from an old plant order) that has been languishing in the back of one of my tanks. I'm curious what the more taxonomically-inclined folks think about these plants. Are the differences just because one is an older mis-treated plant or something more? :scratch:
Dcapensisalbacomparisonplants.jpg

Dcapensisalbacomparison.jpg

Back