What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera caledonica

Anyone grow this plant?

I'm trying to find out if D. caledonica prefers highland, intermediate, or lowland conditions. My plant is currently growing under lights and has been VERY slow to put out leaves or dew up to any appreciable amount. The humidity is constant 60-70%, bright T5 lights, and a media comprised of sand/LFS/peat. I don't keep it sitting in water.

I understand that this species is quite a slow grower. Is there anything I could try to increase its dew production or give the plant more 'vigor'?

Mark

in my opinion, this is an incredibly difficult plant to grow...it is definitely not a highlander plant, but it isnt a lowlander plant as it sulked next to my petiolaris dews. that being said, i think temp requirements are somewhere in intermediate conditions, perhaps 85F days to 65F nights, although i have a feeling it would rather appreciate constant conditions.

beyond that, i cant give you any more help as i received mine as a straight TC explant and declined rather quickly despite my best efforts. best of luck.

also, isnt the plant D. neocaledonica? <--plant taxonomic buffs please....

Sorry - I mean D. neocaledonica. The label on the plant that I got had 'caledonica' on it. Duly noted.

Looking at the CP Photofinder images it is clear to me that many growers have had much success with this drosera. I'm just wondering what the trick is! My plant seems smaller and younger than many in the CP finder - that may be the problem. The lamina on mine are much shorter and it doesn't have that 'open growth' appearance yet. I guess I'll just give it time and see what happens. In the 8 months I've had neocaledonica it has grown somewhat larger but very slowly. Slower than Cephs!

Intermediate conditions are sounding right, based on member feedback. The island of New Caledonia has a mild tropical climate, not as hot as Northern Australia but nowhere near as cool maritime as New Zealand experiences. That would point to 80f days / 60-65f nights year-round. The pictures I have seen of its natural substrate are very unique. The ground is covered in high iron and nickel content soils that is rather toxic to many other plant genera. I would assume that neocaledonica tolerates rather than requires these soils.

that could be it....i grew mine in peat...i guess it seems a more serpentine/ultramafic media is required to grow them...

Back