What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Count updates:

5/8 B. guehoi A × B
5/8 B. guehoi B × A
8/8 B. 'Goliath' x guehoi (100%) w00t!

Must've been the GA3!

They might have germinated sooner if I hadn't been a klutz and dumped water in the cup :)

Let's see what the second batch at 500ppm will do.

Just to be absolutely sure which was which:

B. guehoi A × B =
B. guehoi B × A =
B. 'Goliath' x guehoi =

Affirmative. As I recall she used "B" on the 'Goliath' hybrid.

Hi Warren and Jim,

The hybrid seeds should have been formed using pollen from guehoi "B". However, I do remember that I had used pollen from "A" in the later part when "B" kinda slowed down its flowering. So there might be a mix of both "A" and "B" parentage in your batch of seeds. "A" branches a lot more in my conditions but plants from cuttings are growing differently at a friend's place. Her "B" is branching a lot more.

So bottom line is, both "A" and "B" do branch which is great potential for the hybrid!! Let's see if we can get something close to or rival this. :0o:

Ah Sweetpea has some awesome hybrids.

Ok, with the 500ppm treated seeds (B. 'Goliath' x guehoi)
Sown 11/25/11 - germination 11/29/11 - so far 5/8

017-1.jpg

Got the pots resting on an "egg crate", with the tray filled to capacity with water. That should take care of damp-off!

Last edited:
Update #1 - 7 out of 8 germinations

Last edited:
I just had a minor disaster. I was feeding them pulverized freezed dried bloodworms this morning, tapping the cannister. The cannister slipped out of my hand, landing on top of the plants in the B. guehoi pot. One plant basically broke. The other 2 I was able to get them vertical again. So the one is likely 'toast', and the other two are probably just ticked off.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

016-2.jpg
(Pre-squashing)

plant the tops as cuttings

I hope it's not too late.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

009-9.jpg

Well I mangled the first two I transplanted. A lot more fragile than Drosera seedlings, that's for sure.

Batch #1 A × B
2248.jpg

Batch #2 B × A
2250.jpg

Are ya feeding yours yet?

nope, hardening them off to lower humidity first.

The 3rd Byblis seedling that I thought was a goner, isn't. It may be bent at a 90 degree angle but the top portion is now erect:

007-10.jpg

This is the other pot:

005-14.jpg

009-10.jpg

010-6.jpg

Yes, they seem to be very resilient at this stage. I bent/broke one too, and the other I snapped of a large portion of the root. So far still alive and ticking.

LOL! This is a far cry from the time (2004) when Copper sent me a B. liniflora plant in a plastic cup, held together by several feet of scotch tape. By the time I got to the end, the plant fllew out of cup, landing on the floor. I quickly retrieved it and planted it, but it was 'toast'.

Hi guys,

Just to share what I am seeing from the hybrid seedlings so far...

Some are starting to branch at about 2 months old (like Dad, the guehoi) and others are looking typical lanky (like Mum, the 'Goliath').

Not sure though if the branching ones will become >120cm and the lanky ones start to branch later... :-O

Right now, when the sun shines on them, they look like undecorated miniature Christmas trees! Aren't we like a a couple months away from flowering?

Back