What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

Hi guys,

I lost a 7" pot which had about 15 plants growing in it. The larger species of Byblis don't seem to be too forgiving when they run out of root space! Or they really hate sharing root space with their siblings! Or they need TONS of direct sunlight to do well in the same pot.

Note to self: sweetpea-san on the ICPS forum recommended that each plant (B. guehoi) to have its own 4"-7" pot. Given the size of my growing area....time to go back to growing B. liniflora...or B. rorida...

I've noticed that one plant in a pot out-competes its siblings!

I should repot them, they're still in their thumb pots. The B. guehoi are not doing well at all. Down to one plant of A and B each.

Hybrid one plant aborted all its flowers after I pollinated the one - no seeds. The other flowering plant is still flowering - again no seeds from the one flower I managed to cross-pollinate. I can attempt to cross pollinate two flowers on the same plant.

Hmmm...I need to sow another set of seeds to see how they turn out. The monsoon season usually ends by May but there is still very heavy rain up to this week.

Do keep us posted! :-))

I just noticed this newly germinated plant:

017-4.jpg

Yay! Another hybrid is starting to flower. I can try crosses again with luck.

i need to try the larger byblis the small one i have is flowering non stop for months,need to find some seeds

More of the presumed hybrid:
IMGP5659.jpg

IMGP5657.jpg

Nice clarity! The new seedling died out... after I moved it to a deeper pot. I swear I didn't disturb its roots!

Gorgeous flower! Is the plant branching?

I think it's branching. I'll check for sure when I get home later today. I finally have two plants flowering at the same time again, and one of the B. guehoi "A" is picking up again. I wasn't giving them enough water. I still have a couple seed of "A" and "B" maybe I'll try again now that the weather is warming up. I only have one plant each of "A" and "B" still alive.

Update:

The hybrids currently flowering are not branching. They may in the future. The previously flowering hybrids branched.

Last edited:
More shots of some of the hybrids.

No branching on any of these. Tallest plant on the left is about 18 inches (45.7 cm)
IMGP6167.jpg

This flower is from the tallest plant. Differs from the other flowers.
IMGP6175.jpg

IMGP6169.jpg

IMGP6173.jpg

After pollinating - can see pollen grains on the stigma.
IMGP6195.jpg

Looking for pulvini
IMGP6186.jpg

IMGP6185.jpg

IMGP6184.jpg

IMGP6182.jpg

IMGP6183.jpg

Wonderful photos!

NaN, the plants look great and the close-ups are gorgeous!

Could you take some photos of the leaves like the one below? I would like to see the characteristics that this hybrid is displaying.

byblis_tentacles.jpg

Uncropped photos, focus may not be the best. My eyes are getting too old for this stuff. I can crop any of the photos for more detail.

B. guehoi "B"
IMGP6216.jpg

hybrid (branching - very early)
IMGP6209.jpg

hybrid (non-branching)
IMGP6213.jpg

hybrid (tall, non-branching, with non-overlapping petals)
IMGP6223.jpg

IMGP6226.jpg

hybrid (short with overlapping flowers same plant as earlier pictures)
IMGP6234.jpg

Thanks for the extra effort! They are excellent and is able to show the characteristics I am trying to observe with the different species.

The tentacles on your hybrids are very similar to the B. guehoi (B), maybe except the last pic. And the tentacles of the B. 'Goliath' can be seen here.

Looks like my pollination attempts may bear fruit. Only one plant though, the flower that was the pollen donor to these didn't make it but there are more flowers now.
IMGP6436.jpg

IMGP6438.jpg

IMGP6441.jpg

The difference in flowers between the two plants.
IMGP6445.jpg

The following is not fully open, when it is the petals don't overlap much.
IMGP6454.jpg

Here's the previous flower from the same plant
IMGP6175.jpg

And finally - pulvini!
IMGP6439.jpg

IMGP6442.jpg

IMGP6443.jpg

IMGP6448.jpg

WOW! Great job!

I guess I should try self-fertilizing one or more of the flowers to see if they are self-fertile.

Back