What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeelp...... I just received GA3 for Byblis hybrid seeds....

It depends on the size of the scoop, should say in the instructions what size scoop.

Otherwise with 20% GA3 to make the standard 1000 ppm solution it would be 5 grams per 1 liter of water.

NaN brings up a good point, what size "scoop" do you have?
The link you gave provided you with many "mixing table" instruction links depending on the size of scoop they sent you, and the tables show exactly how many "scoops" per liter or per "#" of oz. to use, depending on the concentration you want. Without knowing what size scoop you have, it will be kind of hard for anyone to even begin to answer your question.

Now if you have a decent "scale", that might be more universal of a question to answer,
but since you seem to be depending on the measurement/"scoop" method of measuring,
indeed more info will be needed.

Or perhaps were you only asking about the "1000 ppm"/standard concentration normally used when using the mix for seed?

Last edited:
The scoop itself has written, "Measurex Nazareth, PA on it. It might have the number 7 also. I took the smallest measuring spoon we had and filled it with water and counted how many times it took to fill the 1/8 tsp. As far as I can tell, it took 4 scoops worth, meaning that one scoop is 1/64 of a teaspoon.... of liquid measure, not grams of solid measure. I tried looking at conversion charts and there isn't one for teaspoon to grams, of course.

Last edited:
Hey Jim, accroding to the conversion thing on the internet I found, 1/64 of a teaspoon (0.015625 tsp) is equal to 0.078125 grams. Then if you look at the link you provided the closest spoon to that is only 0.002 grams away. I would guess the spoon you have is the 0.076 gram spoon. Also maybe the 7 stands for the 0.076 spoon?

Converter:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/teaspoons/to/grams

Have you tried asking the vendor for scoop size verification?

The incremental changes of the weights per scoop don't make sense vs the size of the scoops on the scoop manufacturers site. They must have deleted or changed scoop size somewhere along the line.

If you don't hear back soon from the person you got the powder and scoop from maybe try contacting S&L Plastics and they can ID the scoop size from there and we can try narrowing the guess down.

Best guess at this point is the first scoop and the first table but it could well be the second table too.

jimscott: "I took the smallest measuring spoon we had and filled it with water and counted how many times it took to fill the 1/8 tsp. As far as I can tell, it took 4 scoops worth, meaning that one scoop is 1/64 of a teaspoon.... of liquid measure, not grams of solid measure. I tried looking at conversion charts and there isn't one for teaspoon to grams, of course."

I may be mistaken, but if it took 4 scoops to equal the 1/8 tsp, doesn't that mean each scoop is about 1/32 tsp? and NOT "1/64 of a teaspoon"?
[1/8 tsp divided by 2 would equal 1/16 tsp; therefore 1/8 tsp divided by 4 would equal 1/32]

As far as the volume (scoops/tsp.) "rough" conversion to weight (grams) is concerned, they likely estimated based on the weight of the powder. That way there was no need to have an expensive/accurate scale to measure out the powder, so they could just estimate that 1 scoop = 1/32 tsp. = .076 gm. & thus it would be accurate enough for most purposes in using the GA-3.
Seeing as it is not some drug being mixed or actual "chemistry experiment", having a rough estimate is accurate enough for most people when applying it to plants/seeds.

Also, looking on the site, it shows the scoop they claim was sent with the GA-3:
"Each order includes the small 1/32 teaspoon plastic scoop pictured above." & also claim
"Water Soluble GA3 Powder 20 is completely water-soluble so you only need to add it to the right amount of water using the small white scoop that is included. Each scoop will hold about 0.076 grams of powder."
Using the tables they provide, you should easily be able to mix up the various concentrations (PPM).
I am not sure what the big mystery is? ???

Holy Schnikeys ! Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. Never throw away any paperwork, You will need it some day. Sorry for the added confusion jimscott, and Happy Birthday !! Next year I'll send the instructions !

Also, looking on the site, it shows the scoop they claim was sent with the GA-3:
"Each order includes the small 1/32 teaspoon plastic scoop pictured above." & also claim
"Water Soluble GA3 Powder 20 is completely water-soluble so you only need to add it to the right amount of water using the small white scoop that is included. Each scoop will hold about 0.076 grams of powder."
Using the tables they provide, you should easily be able to mix up the various concentrations (PPM).

Read on, MacDuff:

These are updated instructions. There are occasional changes to the product that require a small change in the instructions; but this does not affect how the product works or its quality. The only difference is how much powder will fit in the scoop. There are three sets of tables, depending on how much powder fits in a scoop. The intructions sheets that come with heach product indicate how much fits into a scoop. If your GA3-20 is about 0.076 grams per scoop use this table; if your GA3-20 is about 0.084 grams per scoop then use this table; if your GA3-20 is about 0.092 grams per scoop use this table; if your GA3-20 is about 0.12 grams per scoop then use this table; if your GA3-20 is about 0.11 grams per scoop then use this table; and if your GA3-20 is about 0.13 grams per scoop then use this table;

So it would seem that at various times different sized scoops were included, depending on when the product was purchased from this guy, and the only way for the consumer to know is from the included instruction sheet. Without the instruction sheet there is no way for the average consumer to identify which size scoop was included. That my friend is the big mystery. Few of use have access to laboratory scales.

Either he purchased the scoops from different manufacturers or the manufacturer changed the sizes over time.

You'll also note it says there are three sets of tables when there are actually 4 sets and if you click on the "scoop" link on each table or sets of table they all link to the same page displaying the small 1/32 teaspoon. Yet the table sets indicate that 1 scoop contain different amounts.

There are also a number of typographically errors (see the above quote). Obviously whoever maintains the site doesn't put a whole lot of attention to what they are doing.

Holy Schnikeys ! Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. Never throw away any paperwork, You will need it some day. Sorry for the added confusion jimscott, and Happy Birthday !! Next year I'll send the instructions !

LOL! Fortunately, measurements probably don't need to be perfectly accurate. I think I have a pretty good composite of guidance, here and can make a solution that will get the job done. Even the lab SOP's at work often allow for a "10% rule".... and we make injectionable products.

Yes, all you need is a ballpark figure. You're not running a study for peer-review so exact amounts are not needed.

Note: People will tell you the solution is reusable if stored in the refrigerator. This is true but the seeds absorb some of the GA3 so the concentration gets lower with each use. At some point the concentration may no longer be effective.

Aside from the variables associated with scoop capacity and length, I haven't a clue as to what ppm is appropriate. If I knew that, and was sure that 0.0076 was correct, then I would know which table I should follow.

I got this instruction from another source:

hi
they say the amount the scoop holds is on the packet. then they give a chart for each scoop capacity
the FAQ says 100 - 250ppm to germinate seeds
the average amount the scoop holds looks like 0.92g so i will use that as an demo
there is a chart for a scoop that holds 0.92g
if you decide you want 550g of final product at 100ppm you need to find the 0.92 graam chart, then get to the 100ppm column. drop down until you get to the 0.55l (18.6oz) line then back left to the amount of scoops.

3 scoops into 0.55l or 18.6oz

hope this is clear and hope im right

scott

I read the FAQ and couldn't find where it says that 100-250 ppm is the appropriate ppm for the seeds.

http://www.super-grow.biz/GA3Powder20.jsp

I use a 1000ppm solution. This is what Dr. Norm C. Deno recommends from his study of seed germination. Self published it is no longer in print but available for download from USDA National Agricultural Library. Too high of a concentration can kill some species or cause aberrant growth and/or disrupt flowering. This study gives you an idea as to which species need cold or warm stratification and length of seed viability at room temperature. Several carnivorous plant species were studied.

Seed Germination: Theory and Practice
http://hdl.handle.net/10113/41278
First Supplement to Seed Germination: Theory and Practice
http://hdl.handle.net/10113/41279
Second Supplement to Seed Germination: Theory and Practice
http://hdl.handle.net/10113/41277

Never treat all your seeds at once. You may need a higher or lower concentration for optimal results.

Check with Cindy on what concentration she recommends :)

I googled GA3 and found a Brian Barnes article in the ICPS:

Germination

There are a few options to ensure good seed germination. I've used the classic smoke treatment method, which requires lighting a small straw or paper fire on top of the seeds after they are sprinkled on the compost, then covering with a glass container to contain the smoke until it diminishes entirely after the fire goes out and the embers are smoldering. However, I've been most successful using a 24 hour soak with 10 PPM of gibberellic acid. I use petri dishes, with seeds folded up in a paper towel, but any dish or container will suffice. Make sure the paper towel is soaked really well with the GA3 solution. You'll notice a purple staining from the seeds on the paper after the solution is applied. After soaking for 24 hours, sprinkle the seeds on top of your growing media and make sure you keep the soil wet and in the 70°F to 85°F (20°C to 30°C) temperature range with good direct light for at least 8-10 hours a day. The main germination usually occurs within 2-4 weeks, with some taking longer. Without the above mentioned treatment options, I've seen seeds take up to a year to germinate!

And there you have it! I hope these tips that have helped me be successful will bring you much joy in cultivating these magnificent glistening gems of nature.

-- Brian Barnes

It doesn't state whether it was 20% or 90% or....?

The white spoon I have with the number 7 on it holds 0.054 gram.

Coincidentally, Cindy contacted me:

It should be 1g per 1 litre of water for 1000ppm. Any concentration between 500ppm and 1000ppm is fine for Byblis seeds so I usually buy a gram of GA3 and use it for a couple of years. Most of time, I dissolve just a bit of it in 10ml of water. I use the scoop that was used for sea monkey food. LOL

Oh yes, dissolve the GA3 first in a few drops of ethanol followed by water. GA3 is not too soluble in plain water.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

I just read your thread. Ignore my previous message 'cos my GA3 is 100%.

We were "comparing apples to oranges".

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

The white spoon I have with the number 7 on it holds 0.054 gram.

LOL! The charts don't have that weight listed

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I wonder what Butch is doing with his....

From my calculations:

for 1000ppm

GA3-90: 1g / 1000ml or 1mg / 1 ml
GA3-20: 5g / 1000ml or 5mg / 1 ml

for 10ppm

GA3-90: 0.01g / 1000ml or 1mg / 100ml
GA3-20: 0.05g / 1000ml or 5mg / 100ml

1000ml = 1L

So basically use 5x as much powder of GA3-20 vs GA3-90. GA3-90 is what's usually called 100%

Note: 10ppm is a very dilute solution. People consider 10ppm total dissolved solids in water a very safe level to water your plants with!

Back