What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous season

So so Beautiful...It's a shame these are not that common.

I've just planted macrophylla, rosulata and rupicola tubers but nothing yet...Kinda late I guess but planted as soon as they arrived. Not very encouraging; especially as they are all new to me :)

Thanks for sharing, amazing cultivation.

ps. I didn't know they could sense bloodworms like that, very interesting...I will try with my menziesii.

Wow..orbiculata! Now that is a rare one in collections. I used to grow this plant but the tuber decided to divide itself while in dormancy then subsequently perished.

Do your plants produce viable seed?

They will produce seed but need to be cross pollinated as they are not self fertile. D. orbiculata though is stubborn to germinate. It also doesn't seem particularly inclined to do much multiplying in the pot either ;<

Awesome dews everyone! Really hope I can make a leap into this side of the dew hobby soon...

Update on D. orbiculata which have finished flowering and are now expanding leaves.
overcast today so not the best photos unforunately.
Dorb2.jpg

close up
Dorb3.jpg

Very nice Tony! Just got my first tuberous, a peltata. Can wait for it to stalk :laaa:

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Hey I just noticed that there seems to be a nub from the side of the rosette, could this be the stock? It looks like a new leaf coming up between an old leaf and a newer one. Not sure what it is, any ideas?

Wow cool I was not familiar with that species before. Very nice looking plant.

Very nice Tony! Just got my first tuberous, a peltata. Can wait for it to stalk :laaa:

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Hey I just noticed that there seems to be a nub from the side of the rosette, could this be the stock? It looks like a new leaf coming up between an old leaf and a newer one. Not sure what it is, any ideas?

D. peltata are great to start with! Super easy and vigorous.

Nub? Do you mean the out of focus bump in the closeup shot, just above the Copyright thing? Not sure what you mean by "the stock".

talking about my peltata, oops meant stalk not stock.

Can't tell much without a photo..
Maybe it is a new leaf?

D. peltata usually makes a rosette first. Then if the plant is old enough the growth point will elongate and form the climbing stem from the center of the rosette.

So its from the center of the rossette? What does it look like when it just starts? I wonder what it is, its really quite weird, I would post pics but my camera isnt working.

Don't know why I doubt you Tony.. your a pro. Purple flower.. D. menziesii yes?

Don't know why I doubt you Tony.. your a pro. Purple flower.. D. menziesii yes?

hmm oh ya, D. menziesii -pink/purple
D. macrantha white

Take note of tuber color too when you repot sometime. That will help confirm it
D. menziesii are pink and round and the D. macrantha are a whitish yellow and round

Roger that. I can't remember what color it was. I got 13 other tubers in the same package. So it's all a blur.

These are fascinating! I'm going to try to tackle pygmies before attempting these. They all look amazing.

These are fascinating! I'm going to try to tackle pygmies before attempting these. They all look amazing.

Two totally different ball parks.. heck, it's not even the same sport. Might as well just go to spring training and dive right in. ;)

For those who have ever got tubers on the AU weather cycle, how long does it take to swing around to our seasons?

Joe

Drosera witterkeri
DSC_06060005.jpg

DSC_06080006.jpg

Dorsera rupicola
DSC_06120008.jpg

new one for me
Dorsera graniticola
DSC_06130009.jpg

DSC_06170011.jpg

DSC_06180012.jpg

DSC_06190013.jpg

What is it with tuberous dews and misc. hair? Deleted the pics I took today because the pots looked like a friggin' grooming shop's floor. Cat hair.. Sad thing is my cats have never stepped foot in my GH.

Nice pics Mach!

Getting nice color on your plants. It's been overcast and cloudy big time this year so many of mine are pretty pale. Looks like yours are a bit ahead of mine also. My stolonifera group are only just now starting to poke up in a couple pots.

Thanks every one.

Most of my stolonifera are at that plot. Just a bud poking up out of the media....

Back