What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous season

stolonifera.. :drool: Someday I'll get my hands on that one.

Drosera peltata ssp auricilata Bathurst, Australia, NSW Dec. 28, 2011
Can see this one will potentially become a weed. I am seeing seedlings pop up in other pots.....
DSC_00030001_23.jpg

DSC_00040002_7.jpg

DSC_00050003_5.jpg

DSC_00080004_2.jpg

DSC_00130005.jpg

Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii Dec. 28, 2011
Wishing this one would hurry up and bloom for me. Like a watched kettle never boiling
DSC_00140006_1.jpg

Very nice photos! D. peltata is a total weed! I keep it way on the other side away from my other Drosera..

Finally starting to see my D. gigantea poking up..

D. macrantha flower up near the sprinkler lines... a little pinker in person but hard to get the right color with the sun shining through.
DmacranthaFlower.jpg

Ah!
Let me know when you start picking out the weeds! Very nice! :bigthumpup:
Love them!

I lost a few "weedy" plants a few years ago, and realized that it is a no win situation sometimes.
When a plant does overly terrific & grows like mad, propagating in every free spot available... we no longer are as amazed at its beauty, growth & vitality, as it becomes "just a weed"! But when a plant grows poorly & is difficult to propagate, we want it to grow more and it won't, which then is generally unrewarding!
As for me, I have learned the hard way, that when a plant gets so prolific it is "weedy", that is when things are going just right for it & for me! Indeed there is variation among plants and their growth capabilities, which provides good contrast & thus makes me enjoy them all!

So someday if anyone has too much D.Peltata seed (stolonifera and/or other such thrivers'...) feel free to let me know. I am sure I can come up with something in trade. (Talk about weeds, I actually have a dandelion growing in my kitchen currently!) I will have to post a pic of it when it blooms!
In my experience, plants that have older leaves dieing off all over while the new ones form at the growing tips, makes for a sloppy looking plant. I often end up neglecting them until they look a mess and then do a major pruning of old growth. I love when they look clean & new, but it never lasts.
I think that with automating other things, I am wishing I could figure out how to make that job easier too!

Nice plants! Keep them growing!
:water:

Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii Jan. 7, 2012

DSC_00110003_1_hf.jpg

DSC_00150004_4_hf.jpg

DSC_00040001_20_hf.jpg

DSC_00090002_2_hf.jpg

I like the last one..
*note to self: TRY to remember to add watermark to pics*

ah crap. Forgot about that note to self..

Can't wait until spring so I can pot these up something proper. And this is my first year with tuberous dews, so suggestions and recommendations are welcome. I already know they need better (bigger) pots.

front right: D. lowriei 'Giant' looks like it's breaking a new clump to the surface.
front middle: D. macrophylla ssp. monantha
front left: Seeing a bunch of stalks coming up in the D. menziesii ssp. menziesii pot
back right: D. peltata with a couple D. allantostigma
back left: D. erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa (Albany Hwy) pushing out a 3rd growth point. YAY!

IMG_0069.jpg

Wow they look great mass I hope my d. Peltata turn out even half as nice as yours. Congrats

One of my favorites (maybe my favorite drosera): D. rupicola:

cp-jan2012-rupicola001.jpg

:drool: Someday..

D. menziesii update.. kind of. The other pic was even worse.
Whoa.. wait. I think this was the misc. unknown tuber pot. That's right, 3 unknown tubers. One of which was ruled to be menziesii. Any guesses on the smaller cluster in the front right?

IMG_0183.jpg

D. lowriei 'Giant'

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

and it was there, screaming to be photographed.. again. :rolleyes:

IMG_0454.jpg

OMG!

I want that D. lowriei 'Giant' , It looks wonderful! :) nice drosera! :)
It is just astonishing!

I just got my first tuberous sundew, D. peltata. It arrived dormant and I'm wondering when the best time to ease it into active growth is

Last edited:
For those of you growing tuberous dews under lights - what kind of photoperiod do you give them?

I like to mimic what they experience in habitat (SW and S. Australia). For me it is 12 hrs in September, 10 hrs in December, and 12 hrs again in March.

I like to mimic what they experience in habitat (SW and S. Australia). For me it is 12 hrs in September, 10 hrs in December, and 12 hrs again in March.

I would like to do that as well. But my nepenthes get priority over all others..
So the tubers just get moved out of the GH when spring comes.

Great, thanks for the info. I was worried my 12 hour winter cycle would be too much for them, but I guess not.

Back