What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I first got this plant a year ago it shot up then promptly fell over under its own weight and grew along the ground for awhile to about 10" before dying. I was distraught and puzzled as to why a plant would evolve in such a seemingly foolish way.

To my guarded delight, before it died out completely, I saw the beginnings of a sundew sprouting from the base of the stalk. Could it be that I lucked out and my little dew of Madagascar, sensing that its only stalk was nearing its end, was regrowing from the root? It was too early to tell, but I was hopeful.

Turns out, that was precisely the case. The single stalk I have today is the result of that little sprout. And sometime last month, it fell over again. Sensing a pattern, I kept an eye out for a repeat performance. Sure enough, I saw a suspiciously madagascariensis-looking youngling coming up just as it happened the first time around. This time, however, I wanted to try and trick the plant into not dying. I used 3 bamboo skewers and staked that main stalk back up.

Today, both main stalk and pup are still alive and growing well. I would like to pose a question: does D. madagascariensis sense the danger when its main stalk falls over, sending up a new one? I ask this because the plant has not previously sent up any new stalks, unless the main one has fallen over. I know you can propagate by root and leaf cuttings fairly easily, considering madagascariensis' capensis-like hardiness.

I like to say once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, and three times makes a pattern. This is twice now it's happened. I will be looking for a third incident to confirm. Now a couple of pictures for your enjoyment:

View attachment 1735
Notice the kink in the stalk from when I got around to propping it back up, once I was relatively sure the offshoot wouldn't die off as a result.

View attachment 1736
It's so cute!

Also please disregard the dead-looking D. slackii in the background. I fear it is not only dead-looking, but actually dead :( Puzzling because my venusta is growing full and happy right next to it, almost mocking it in it's vibrant ruby leaves, sparkling with dew and life. I didn't even get a leaf cutting before the slackii died on me *mutter mutter*

edit: I didn't realize the pictures directly uploaded to the forum are resized. If there's interest, I could repost the pictures using a different host, but I think the idea is communicated well enough.

edit 2: This...this is not the Drosera Forum. Sorry! Can I have a mod grace my thread and move it to its proper place? :p

That's a really unique species of Utricularia! ;)

Mine started sending up new plants well before the larger stalks toppled.

Bizarre species..... I like it!

I ordered one and before I knew it I had three! The "mature" plant was actually relatively small.

You can "decapitate" this species and it will regrow from the root. If the stalks break or crack new growth will start from the breaks.

Like D. glabripes these are often growing in tall grass or near other growth and get support that way.

so where do you get a start from

Am I the only person who sees this a drosera?

A moderator will have to fix that categorization.

I hate this species...

They seem to get tall then die for me, taking cuttings from these really pays off.

Wait...the "D" stands for Drosera?

You can "decapitate" this species and it will regrow from the root. If the stalks break or crack new growth will start from the breaks.

Like D. glabripes these are often growing in tall grass or near other growth and get support that way.

would i simply cut it about a centimeter below the living portion and then submerge that centimeter in the media? i have one that i would like to decapitate but dont want to kill it.

yes you can even do 2 inches below the growth point if it gets too tall and it will grow out roots, i lost mine due to not watering it but this one was a great grower for me if well fed it will flower like crazy too

yes mines growing very well, in the same conditions that my d. affinis is doing very poorly in.

Cut it off at the soil level. If you cut off part of the stalk sometimes it starts growing out the side of the remaining stalk in several places and you get funky looking branching. The roots will put out one or more offshoots. The old growing point may or may not root. No harm in trying.

Ah, a few different ways to experiment with propagating, I love experimenting :D. Once I establish the leaf cuttings that struck, I'll get to playing around with the taller, older stalk. Thanks for the tips fellas!

No longer in my collection, but here's old shots:

Picture009-2.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Back