What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum rising...

After seeing some of the success that others here on this forum have had with this species, i decided to try this one for myself finally.

Here's one of the seeds that just sprouted.

IMG_0621-drosophyllum.jpg

dvg

Congrats!! Hope it does well for you.

Nice job!

Awesome! Keep us posted.

Thanks!

I have six of these seedlings already transplanted into their own little pots, with more germinating each day.

Here's an update on that previous seedling.

IMG_0673-Drosophyllum.jpg

dvg

dang.. you're on a roll.

Another update on these very tiny plants.

The largest one was hand fed three springtails today...hopefully it doesn't get indigestion from this appetizer. ;)

IMG_0927-Drosophyllum.jpg

It's interesting how these seedlings tend to escape from their seeds, almost in a Harry Houdini-like fashion.

They send down their radical root and then with their two cotyledon leaves still 'handcuffed' inside the seed, they work on freeing their true leaves.

IMG_0966-Drosophyllum.jpg

It almost looks like a green alien trying to extricate its octipus-like tentacle while its arms are still caught in its space pod...obviously a very adept contortionist with this maneuver.

IMG_0994-Drosopyllum-lusitanicum.jpg

Here is the second largest seedling, with its arms still caught in the pod.

IMG_0943-Drosophyllum.jpg

Once those arms are free, you bugs better beware, cuz it'll only have eyes for you...

IMG_1012-bug-eating-alien.jpg

dvg

Last edited:
LOL Awesome!

Great photos DVG! I agree they do look like some alien squidy octopus thingy as they emerge ;>
Look forward to seeing how they do for you. Any info on how you are growing them? lighting, pot size, mix etc etc?

I see alot of sand or is that a top layer for where the seed are germinating?

That's so cool. I've gotta get off of my duff and get one of these.

Nice Job:)
What's your germination procedure? How long did they take to germinate?

Great photos DVG! I agree they do look like some alien squidy octopus thingy as they emerge ;>

Haha, they do look squiddish...here's one of the seedlings with an arm free.

IMG_1050-Drosophyllum-lusitanicum.jpg

Look forward to seeing how they do for you. Any info on how you are growing them? lighting, pot size, mix etc etc?

I see alot of sand or is that a top layer for where the seed are germinating?

I have been following your seedling success with this species, and have tried to follow, to a certain degree, what you have been doing with your recent Drosophyllum seedling starts.

The lighting being used is a 2 tube 4' T8 shoplight that's a few inches above them.

Once i can determine how many seedlings will survive this first attempt with them, i'll give them more intense light.

They are presently in 3" peat or coir pots, with a few extra holes drilled in the bottoms and sides of the pots for an easier pot breakdown once the successful seedlings are potted up, still in their present pots, into a larger terra cotta pot.

I tried to emulate you media mix by using chunky perlite, akadama soil, kanuma, lava rock, coarse silica sand, pumice and a tiny bit of peat.

Then i chose to use a top layer of quartz sand to fill in the gaps of the chunky mix, so the seeds wouldn't slip between the cracks, but i do find that the sandy top layer does dry out quite quickly, so i have to check in on it a couple of times per day in this early going.

Nice Job:)
What's your germination procedure? How long did they take to germinate?

Hi Richjam,

The fat end of the seeds were scarified with a file and then the seeds were soaked for a few days until most of them no longer floated.

Seeds were then sown in a mix that resembled their own current mix with a top layer of quartz sand.

The night time lows for the propagation container was around 10C, and the daytime highs were from 20 to 24C

Germination took about 3 weeks.

dvg

Another update on these Drosophyllum seedlings.

Today, i moved 2 of the seedlings underneath their own 42 watt cfl and they both seem to be adjusting well to the extra light.

IMG_1268-Drosophyllum-seedlings.jpg

The seedling below, comes from a Spanish locale, and is busy working on its fourth leaf now.

IMG_1313-Drosophyllum-seedling-Spain.jpg

And this seedling, from a locale in Portugal, now onto its third leaf, already smells of that sickly sweet aroma that some have described as resembling the scent of honey, and produces more mucilage than the Spanish seedling.

IMG_1297-Drosophyllum-seedling-Portugal.jpg

The seedlings, currently in 3" peat pots, are soaked in the inverted green saucers they are sitting on in the top pic, with just enough water to barely cover the bottoms of the dishes with the peat pots inside them.

The water is then allowed to wick up into the peat pots for a few minutes or until it is gone.

To give the top of the media a bit of moisture, i'll water around the rim of the pots, making sure to stay well clear of the plants in the middle.

The top of the media stays very dry this way and the outer surface of the peat pots will be dry to the touch by the next morning, just in time for the next daily soaking...so far, so good with my first attempt at these.

dvg

Looking really nice DVG!

Do you notice similiar mucilage production with your other seedlings too? I wonder if it is because they are from different locals or not. Mine are from Spain and seem to make just as much as your seedling from Portugal

Mine are deffinately getting quite strong in the scent department also.

Thanks Tony,

Sadly all of my other squiddie seedlings didn't make it.

Admittedly, i think the sand top-dressing dried out much too quickly for their liking.

Another seedling from the Portuguese locale popped up a couple of days ago and it was moved to a more open mix sans the sand on top.

That one has been kept quite moist with a trace of water in it's dish during the day, so time will tell how that one does, but i think i got lucky with the two seedlings i have on the go now.

I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of difference between the Spanish and Portuguese seedlings, other than what i had observed between those two at the time.

The Spanish seedling, though larger in size and development, didn't smell, whereas the Portuguese seedlings was giving off a noticable aroma.

And the Spanish seedling seems to have rebounded in making more mucilage...it may have been adjusting to being the under the bright lights for the first day there.

My plants are just about at the point of development that yours were at when you started your thread on this topic a few weeks back...looking forward to seeing the progress of your plants and these as well.

dvg

Thanks for sharing your observations, this plant is still surrounded by mystery in some areas. I find it valuable to hear of others' take on it.

I have 7 new seedlings of my own and I've been following Jan's cultivation guide. I can't remember if he used to write on this very forum or not but I seem to have downloaded his guide at some point from some thread...So if you are reading this, thank you Jan!

I heeded his advice and have been keeping them very wet as I noticed all my previous attempts failed due to the medium drying out too quickly; I think their not liking water is a bit of a hype, at least in the early stages. That makes sense as they seem to germinate better when the temps come down in autumn. I am from the mediterrenean region of Turkey and it is pretty cool + wet in autumn; I don't understand why some people think seedlings should be treated like cacti.

Still, I have sooo many questions of my own...To feed or not to feed ?; just how important is sunlight if they do germinate in autumn out in nature ?; less peat or more peat ?; when to start letting them get a little dry between waterings...etc etc.

Hi Maxima,

I admit that i made the mistake of treating them like cacti seedlings, but with my cacti seedlings, i keep them in closed ziplock bags until they are of a good size and then i let them harden off.

The Drosophyllum seeds do seem to need to be kept wetter until they start germination and begin sending up at least a couple of carnivorous leaves.

Then they can be kept on the moist side.

And they do not seem to mind being fed springtails, fungus gnats or even fruit flies as long as the feeding is not over done.

Tony put his two seedlings a half inch under a 42 watt and 26 watt compact fluorescent bulb respectively and his plants have responded well to the light.

I followed Tony's lead and have each of my two seedlings also about a half inch under their own 42 watt cfl, and they are growing steadily.

My plants are each growing in their own peat pot, which are monitored a couple of times each day for moisture, and a little water is added each day on top around the perimeter of the pot and also a little water is allowed to be wicked up from the bottom of the pot.

I judge the moisture level in the pot by the dryness of the outside of the peat pot and also by the weight of the pot.

Since i'm a beginner with this species, i'm proceeding quite cautiously with this first attempt.

My media (think Pinguicula mix here) is mostly a mineral mix composed of chunky perlite, lava rock, pumice, kanuma, akadama clay, coarse river sand and some silica sand and just a very tiny bit of peat as well.

Maxima, let us know how you do with your seedlings.

dvg

Last edited:
Nice to hear some other experiences. My biggest challenge has always been to get them past the first few leaves. If they can get past that point without turning into black mush they usually do ok. I do think they need a fair bit of water but there is that small window when they just start to germinate and before they harden up a bit, they seem very prone to just up and rotting before your eyes. Being so small though they are also quite susceptible to drying out quickly. Sorry to hear you lost some of your seedlings DVG. Looks like you have a couple going strong now.

I burned out my 42w bulb and had to switch back to the 26w. Instead of replacing the 42 I decided I would try a new fixture and bulb. I would like to keep one permenantly indoors and I think I need a better setup to do that. The 42w would work but they are a tad big for the clip on reflector light and it is a little on the weak side unless you get it practically touching the plant.. SO I got myself some new toys. Will post in my thread.

3 more germinated which brings the total to 10 seedlings for me. Good news is everything that ever germinated is still alive.

I am trying a different setup with every seedling to see what works best in my conditions.
I am not using any artificial lights because I want them to understand it's winter time and adjust accordingly. I think it's important for plants to be aware of the photoperiod and temperatures. However, if they don't make it, I will surely use light bulbs next time.

Even as a seedling it's very resistant to cold. One of the seeds germinated outside with daytime temps of 12-13C and night time temps of 5-8C. I left her outside to see if she will make it.

However, another seedling (approx a month old) which I moved outside just stopped growing and has been the same for a good few weeks. It might be the moving shock though; I don't think it's unhealthy as it's always dewy. Others born before her have already doubled in size. All my seedlings are exposed to the same night temps (10-12C) so I am starting to think it's mainly the daytime temps that affect their growth.

Will be adding pics soon, good luck to both of you and to myself of course :)

Back