What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binta or Cape Sundew?

Should I get a fast growing and easy cape sundew or a Drosera binta? The bush forming habit of D. binta and relatives appeals to me but I have the impression that the cape sundew is a better flycatcher and of course easy to propagate. Can you tell me your opinion on each?

They're small, get both. If you get one of the self-fertile strains of D. binata they are as invasive if not more so than D. capensis.

Capensis is more exciting. Binata is prettier.

just go by looks they grow the same and are hardy as heck

oh and i would go with binata forr fly catching since it gets big and has MUCH more trap surface area

get a broadleaf cape

I like Capensis, as cuttings are so easy, and if you get seeds it's easy enough to sprinkle em on a pot, and get a mat of Sundews... Usualy mine are black with gnats, depending on where they grow.

IME both are easy and prolific growers.

I actually have had binata pop up in a pot that I'm pretty sure was isolated for all but a brief moment. And two of my capensis JUST flowered after a year and a half but has divided basally four times.

In terms of insect catching, it's really a toss up.

One difference in terms of growing I have noticed, and it may be just me, is that the binata seems to grow in spurts, die back to the roots, and pop up again while the capensis is more of a steady grower.

Yes!

just go by looks they grow the same and are hardy as heck

oh and i would go with binata forr fly catching since it gets big and has MUCH more trap surface area

i am growing my first d. binata now but i have a hard time believing anything is gonna catch more than d. capensis, save d. lusitanicum

Back