What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmanii

The inflorescence stalk of my D. burmanii is as of today over 7 inches tall (actually it has a support 'cuz otherwise the weight may uproot the plant) and has over 12 blossoms developing...
However... The irony!
The plants seems to be dying!
I assume it is 'cuz it is hard for it to sustain itself and the flowers... At first it though it was a matter of time before the lowest leaves started to witter, but then more and more, today about 70% of the leaves are dead or dying, and I don't think the ones developing will be enough fort he plant... Suggestions?

D.burmanni are annuals so, it may just be at the end of it's life span.

But... Well, it does make sense... However...
Why to make an inflorescence just before going dormant?
Shouldn't it be storing energy instead of making flowers?

It's probably dieing, not going dormant. They're annuals, that means that the plant only lives for a year or so then it dies.

Awh... THAT type of annual...
Dammit...
Does that mean I'll have to polinate the flowers to see if I can get some seeds out of it?

They self pollinate. Hopefully the flower stalk will live long enough to bear seed.

Hmm... I certainly hope so...
How poetic... Bearing seed as it's last act in life...

Kinda off topic, you a NGE fan, right?

Next time try cutting off all the flowers,
if you want the plant to last longer.
It can help postpone the inevitable.
But indeed, it is an annual.

They are nice plants, so even annuals like these have a place in the hobby.

Can they be propaagated from leaf cuttings before they die off ??I have 3 plants that are about 1/4 in diameter. Can leaf cuttings be taken now or shall i wait till they are about to flower ?

For propagation I have found seed to be the best way.
They produce viable seed easily, and you can have 50 to 100 plants in no time, if that is your desire.
Instead of trying to perpetuate one plant, let it go to seed (& eventually die off) and then grow more from seed.

As for leaf cuttings with these, I never had to bother (had too many babies from seed)
but I have heard they don't strike well from cuttings. Therefore seed are your best bet.
(And why not, as they are very prolific.)

Good luck!

Paul is spot on and i'd say the only thing that can probably save your plant, SEELE, is to feed it if it has not already been catching its own food or been fed recently. Sometimes it's just their time to die, but it seems feeding them frequently can prevent death for several years in optimal conditions.

Also, i've given leaf cuttings a shot when i had some huge leaves on mine and they unfortunately didn't work. I used the petiole too and it still didn't work :*( but that doesn't mean i've given up completely yet!

Ok... I'll try to keep the plant alive until it flowers and then see if I can use the seeds...
How long does it take for the fruit to mature after polination? Is the fruit dehiscent or indehiscent?

When the pod & stem dries, it is ready & drops the seed all over,
or with some coaxing & crushing of the tiny pod, seed will fall into your hand like dust.

How long does it take for the fruit to mature after polination? Is the fruit dehiscent or indehiscent?
I suggest letting the surprises of nature & the wonders of experience with the plants,
show you all you could ever want to know! Indeed experience is the best teacher, and a lot more interesting than having everything spelled out for you.

I personally have been too busy with more interesting things & working with my other plants, than taking the time to track exactly how long it takes for a pod to mature. I don't try to rush the process & always wait until the pod dries completly before trying to extract seed, lest it be detached before being fully ripe & viable.

Perhaps others who also were that concerned about the exact time it takes for the seed to mature, can answer your question. From what I know however, I would assume it is likely variable based on environmental conditions, but again, I never cared enough to do a full experiment covering different environmental variables, as well as testing numerous plants to see if there is one set amount of time or if it does indeed vary.
Again, others are likely more well versed in this than I am. (Unless like me, they really don't find a need or desire to know.) ???

Personally, with all the other wonderful aspects of growing Cp's, I have never even thought to look into these things while growing them, nor have I ever bothered to find out. I simply waited until a flower's pods matured...often not even noticing until long after they did! (I don't know what difference it makes anyway!

Also, as far as the pods being the fruit being dehiscent or indehiscent?... I would assume it is indehiscent as I haven't seen any seed exposed. The pods just seem to release/drop seed when it is all dried out. But then again I can barely see the pods as it is, and the seed are like dust, and each one smaller than this ---> . <----- period.
Again, I don't know what difference it makes & never cared to bother with whether it was one or the other. My concerns have always been more with getting the plant to grow, mature & produce viable offspring.
Perhaps you can take some real nice close-up pictures of the dried pods so everyone who is interested can see.
As for myself, I don't much care anyway, but always like seeing nice pictures. :-D

I doubt my answers here helped you much, but then I don't really understand the motivation for asking in the first place, as these are questions I never even wondered or were concerned about.
(It would be like wondering exactly how many tentacles each sundew leaf has, and if it was always the same or if it varied. While that may be important to someone studying the various aspects of a particular plant species, it is not something any grower is usually concerned about, as things like how to grow them into healthy & thriving plants or reproduce them, etc. is logically of more concern & interest.

Again, perhaps there are others out there who are more aware of such things than I am, or indeed possibly as interested in these aspects as you are.
Perhaps you could tell me why you were interested in these aspects in the first place, as I am curious now! Perhaps after a lifetime of raising CP's, I am missing some really interesting aspect of growing them! :-O

I would assume it is indehiscent as I haven't seen any seed exposed. The pods just seem to release/drop seed when it is all dried out.
Well, that means it's dehiscent, 'cuz it does no require the fruit to undergo putrefaction in order to have the seeds contact ground...

Anyhow, I'll post later what happened...

So... The flowers look like they may bloom any of these days, so I present you:
My evil plant to collect the seeds:
img191.jpg

Do you think it'll work?
What media do you reckon will do best?
I was thinking pure peat+distilled water...

Seems a lot of overkill.

Why not just wait till the pods dry
& then grab them & squish them onto a piece of paper
blow away the chaff/dry pod portions & wrap up or plant whats left?

Simple!

Been done that way for years.
Not much seed is dropped before then anyway,
but it is all real small,
so perhaps some close-up pics will reveal
the actual style of pod you are so interested in.

I am not sure what the worries are? ???

Forget it!
Forget it all!
Tragedy fell upon my poor D. burmanii... The other day my mom let the pot fall while doing God knows what...
She just grabbed all the substrate and placed it back pretending nothing had happened... I realized when I saw that she had actually burried the plant itself... Only the flower stalk was visible...
I carefully took it out but then noticed that the flower stalk had a slice near the first flower... Today the inflorescence had lost turgency and bent completely...
I cut the inflorescence and placed it in water... With some luck, some of the flowers will open...
I cut and planted the stalk next to the plant to see if it makes roots (I read that this particular plant can do that)...
I hope that the plant survives it's earthly plogée and lives without having to sustain the flowers...

Back