What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ordensis sessile flower

bluemax

Lotsa blue
I've only been growing this species for a little under a year but all the photos I've seen of D. ordensis blooming showed long, tall flower stalks. I wasn't expecting this:

mini-P2023312-1.jpg

mini-P2023312.jpg

The flower remained open for maybe two hours so please excuse the less-than-excellent photos.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I'm not sure what to make of it.

How bizarre. It must be channeling Drosera meristocaulis which is name for the very short/non-existent central flower stalk. Well why not? D. meristocaulis is genetically a close cousin to pygmy Drosera.

My D. Aff. ordensis gets flower scapes that push one meter in length.

Congratulations on the flower!

Interesting...

Interesting indeed...did you try and pollinate it?

That is very interesting. My ordensis shoots some long flowerstalks as well. The receding petioles suggest that your plant is heading into dormancy. Try to raise up your temperatures to prevent it from going fully dormant.
@lance: the flower cannot be pollinated unless two flowers from genetically different plants are open.

That is very interesting. My ordensis shoots some long flowerstalks as well. The receding petioles suggest that your plant is heading into dormancy. Try to raise up your temperatures to prevent it from going fully dormant.
@lance: the flower cannot be pollinated unless two flowers from genetically different plants are open.

Concur. looks like it is going to go dormant. Guessing flower initiation and dormancy mechanism on two different triggers?

that would also explain the stunted flowerstalk.

Flower stalks are overrated.

Weird, but very cool looking to me. Glad you got a pic before it closed and shared it.

Thanks for the comments all. This plant is certainly flirting with winter dormancy and it really needs a hotter environment, which I need to get off of the drawing board and into reality. I'm unsure what a second trigger, besides temperature, that would induce blooming would be. The photo periods are an even 12 hours, shortened 5 months ago and humidity and soil moisture have been unchanged for months. To add to the oddness this plant has tried to produce a normal inflorescence in the past but I clipped it off.

That's so strange! Gotta love the exceptions to the rules.

Back