What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous Drosera Question-

MH1

Smile, it makes people nervous :)
So- in the wild, tuberous drosera go dormant during the hot, dry Summers and then grow during the mild, wet Winters.

In cultivation, a plant's climate is normally mimicked for them to grow propperly, but how neccessary is HEAT in tuberous drosera dormancy? Where I live, the average daily Summer high is 63F - which is nowhere near as hot as the North/West Aus Summers. Would this temperature range still be adequate for the plants to go dormant in? Or is it more important for them just to be kept dry?

I read the sticky how-to thread, where it mentions putting the pots somewhere 'out of the sun' in a 'dark corner' and should not be exposed to the sun or other heat sources, which implies that they should be kept on the cooler side? ??? I realise that most of y'all have more pronounced Summers than me, so keeping a plant in shade might still provide adequate enought heat, but maybe the same wouldn't apply to my own conditions?

Thanks! :)

Dormancy is regulated by temperature AND photoperiod. Just continue to keep your plants well lit and fed. They will start going dormant at a time of their own choosing and it will become quite apparent with gradually browning foliage. At this point stop all watering and let you pots gradually go dry. With tuberous drosera this starts to occur when the photoperiod is longer than 12 hours and temperatures stay above 15-20c.

Mark

Oh great! So ~17C should be enough to trigger dormancy, then. I was worried that a more pronounced seasonal change was needed- obviously not :)

Thanks!

Back