What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Close up timeline of plantlet growth

Hey guys,

I'm putting this together to show a professor of mine, but I wanted to also share it with you guys, too. Science shared is science learned. (Just made that up, go with it). So, lets get started! The specimen is D. capensis, and all comments are on the pictures.

Week0a.jpg

Week0b.jpg

Week1a.jpg

Week1b.jpg

Week1c.jpg

Week2a.jpg

Week2b.jpg

Week2c.jpg

Week3a.jpg

Week3b.jpg

Week3c.jpg

Week4a.jpg

Week4b.jpg

This is just in a vial in my terrarium, but I moved it over to where I culture my Pyrocystis fusiformis to take these pictures. If you guys like, I'll add more pictures as I take them.

Thanks for looking,
CJ

Last edited:
Spectacularly cool . . .

Very nice pics!

:-D Very cool, thank you for posting. YES, please post more pics of their progress.

very interesting post

very interesting post

Thanks! I saw that you posted a similar thing about D. adelae. I'd love to do a side-by-side, with pictures perhaps as close up as these.

I'll add pictures to the original post every week. I'm really interested to see when, or even if, roots begin to development. At the stage their in now is when I transfer them into some non-aqueous media.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you for clarifying the process for me. I'm very interested in root development, if any, as well.

Great pictures. You should check out my post about my sundew research project. I am going to do an expansion on it this summer using water as a media instead of the peat/sphagnum mix we used. These posts helped me come up with the idea when I saw them earlier today. So thanks!

think that was cindy,i am currently trying slakii leaf pullings,they still have not done anything six weeks on but i hear slakii can take months:-(

think that was cindy,i am currently trying slakii leaf pullings,they still have not done anything six weeks on but i hear slakii can take months:-(

Oh shoot, you're right! Sorry about that! Both your names are short, start with a "C," end with a "Y," and you both have avatars of very well grown Cephalotus. That'll teach me to not read thoroughly...

Just a thought... being in water, there's not a whole lot of incentive for root development.

Just a thought... being in water, there's not a whole lot of incentive for root development.

I agree, but there is still a chance it will send out a root to try and find anchorage. And as you can see in the last two pictures of Week 3, it looks like it might be trying to send out a root now.

I've never kept plantlets started in this fashion in water for this long, so I'm really excited about what will happen next!

I start D. capensis, D. Rotundiflora, and D. dichotoma leaves floating in distilled water every summer and they form roots with much the same success rate as when I lay them on soil, and without the mold problem I get on soil...don't know about other types of sundews though.

Very nice descriptions and pictures :)

...and here's an illustration of DJ57's post:
D. binata var. dichotoma "T-form" flower stalk cutting rooting in water after about 6-7 weeks
Binata_leaf_cutting_root.JPG

Not too much development over the past week, and I'm sorry for the late update.

Very nice ...thanks for posting! I have a time lapse camera aimed at my Nepenthes female pods that should be posted in the next few months..

Back