What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash Course Guide for Petiolaris Dormancy...

Gotta get me another submercible heater!

I am just a few days into starting to grow these plants and after having doubts about being able to provide enough heat for them I am pleasantly surprised how well it all worked out for now.

My setup consists of a 7g fishtank that is wrapped on 3 sides with reflective bubble wrap (I left one side of the tank open for observation). It sits on top of a single hydrofarm seedlings heating mat (consumes 17W) and 1cm under 4xT8x48" fixtures, on the topmost shelve. Inside, the plants are sitting on top of 2 layers of egg crate with water level not reaching the pots (plants were dormant upon arrival), and the top is covered by a sheet of acrylic plastic with holes drilled in it. The temperature at the surface of the soil in the pots is steady 80F at night and fluctuates a bit from 105F to 110F during the day. The temperature outside the fishtank on the shelf is ~80F during the day and ~70-75F during night.

So far so good. And I noticed yesterday that one of the plants is starting to uncurl a petiole with a little trap on it already :)

Thank you Amphirion for this guide!

@gill: you're very welcome and very nice! keep on the look out for continuous trap development, and elongating petioles!

Here is a picture of how I ran one years back... I did have to fill it fairly often, but not more often then I looked at the plants. :D
Andrew

P1010248.JPG

and what beautiful plants they are!!!
Thanks so much for the help, and the fact that you have the info as images makes it even easy to retain!
i think my problem was not deep enough reservoir / too much surface area. i blew a heater and will simply need to try again :]

Drosera ordensis, emerging from dormancy, which was done in somewhat amph's method...

DSC_0001-2.jpg

great work peat! you can definitely see dramatic transitional growth happening and the undeveloped leaves left from the dormancy stage.

Back