What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata var. multifida f. Extrema Growing Tips?

joossa

Aklys
I recently acquired a single D. binata var. multifida f. Extrema. After looking at several pictures online, I want to grow it into a monster like those in several pictures.

I’ve read a bit about the plant and I plan on keeping it like I keep my several D. capensis here in the California desert:
-Full sun in spring.
-Mostly shade with only afternoon sun in summer.
-Full sun in fall.
-Full sun in winter, but putting it indoors during the night to avoid frosts.

Do you guys think this will suffice? I only grow D. filiformis var. tracyi, D. capensis, and D. burmanii as an unintentional weed, so I am not the most confident when it comes to dews. My filiformis thrives in full, direct desert sun in the summer months, but my many capensis seem to enjoy mostly shade during summer. What do you think this one will be like?

I'm growing it in 50:50 peat/perlite with a top layer of sphagnum.

Any other growing tips?

Thanks a bunch!

My friend grows his indoors under fluo lighting and it exhibits the traits you are looking for. There's no exact formula that must be followed to the letter... Good luck!

Just give it whatever conditions you have and it should be fine :lol: Im serious though. Mine gets 18hrs of light and sits ni a wate tray in peat perlite... Grows like a weed... I even cut it down to nothing twice and it grew back where it left off.. even after drying out (not completely but pretty dry only a little moist) and being removed from the rack

I keep mine on a grow rack, under a Grolite / south-facing window sill. I do take them outside from late spring to early fall.

Use a large pot, like a 1 gallon nursery pot. They don't grow to their full potential if the roots are crowded.

100_9555.jpg

Great! Looks like I'm all set... just need to wait for it to grow! :)

Thanks for the help! That is a good looking plant there, Jim!

I agree with NaN Joel. Put it in a deep pot and it will do fine for you.

What Joel said, Jim.

Thanks, Fred! ;) ;) ;)

i keep mine in undrained glass container with a layer of hydroton at the bottom b4 soil and i flood it every few days i dont know if it was a good or bad idea but the plants seem happy so yea throw them in a big pot lots of light and grow them in your normal conditions

Here's mine waking up from their winter nap. I grow it outdoors all year. Time to repot.
IMGP3760copy.jpg

Nice proportions, NaN.

Last edited:
Nice plants NaN and jim! The first time I got this plant it produced leaves that were about a foot long with a maximum of ten branches, that plant died and now I have a much more reasonably sized specimen, thank goodness because that original monstrosity took up about half my setup...

Back