What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got my seeds from rareexoticseeds.com in the mail (P. Vulgaris, D. Rotundifolia, and D. Anglica) and put them in their stratification buckets.

Here are some pictures of them. The containers are 190oz. and the media is 1 peat : 1 sand.

c8a0c524.jpg

bef7ed81.jpg

I put sphagnum moss on top, and it is moist, but NOT WET.

1003d57b.jpg

Should I leave lids on or wait until I take them out of stratification to put the lids on?

Also, any specific advice anyone has (maybe from experience?) about any one species, I am especially curious about the P. Vulgaris which I heard is very hard to grow, but from what I have seen, the hardest part is the stratification.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

These plants are all for a bog garden outside in Michigan this summer. Do you guys think that I could plant the pot into the soil and either take them out for dormancy and put them in the fridge or leave them in the bog over the winter?

I could cover the garden with a tarp (I am already planning on mulching with straw) if I ended up leaving them in. (I know Rotundifolia and P. Vulgaris are Winter Hardy, here but Anglica seems to be a bit different...)

Will

Leave the lids on, give them 3 months in the fridge. They'll probably be too small to go into your bog this year. All 3 species are winter hardy and I grow all 3 in my bogs in Massachusetts. I've had very good luck with germinating P.vulgaris with just the standard stratification method.
Good luck.

And, do I need fungicide?

Will cinnamon work?

Thanks for your help,

Will

Cinnamon ? I've never used fungicide.

Someone here said that cinnamon worked to reduce mold. I will post if any mold appears, but so far, so good.

Thanks,

Will

I wouldnt do anything unless you see it appear.. I dont know if you did it this time around, but microwaving your media/moss really helps prevent unwanted pests like mold and other unwanted plants from popping up in your pots.

K, thanks everyone.

I didn't microwave anything, but if anything does appear, I can use my mold-removing skills to try to get it all :D

Thanks you guys,

Will

Back