What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I made this mini terrarium a week ago (right when I got the plants)

I am pretty sure it is less than 1 gallon, maybe 1/2 gallon.

Pictures:

Drosera Nidiformis

d111849a.jpg

Drosera Adelae

030e93a0.jpg

Drosera Spatulata

d8c988ec.jpg

Drosera Capensis "giant"

dc087b1d.jpg

Full tank shot (Overhead)

c6d3b3a6.jpg

And my sphagnum propagation for the future (hopefully the moss in the tank will grow!)

ec122ba4.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Will

Very nice and good selection of sundews. Control the seed production on the D. nidiformis and D. capensis or they will soon take over the tank. D. adelae will divide from runners like crazy too but much easier to control than the others.

Looks good! Hope they do well for you :)

Plants look like they're ready to grow. What kind of lighting do you use? What kind of medium? I look forward to seeing pics of your success.

I am currently using 3 6500k 40w 4' T12 bulbs and 1 4200k 32w 4' bulb in two 2-bulb fixtures.

My media is a mix of silica sand, peat moss, and sphagnum moss (about 1:2:1)

I also just clipped back a lot of the adelae for leaf cuttings, so I will post pictures of the trimmed version soon.

great color on those dews. That tank is going to be a dewy explosion of growth this time next year.

I left them alone today after misting them last night, and here are some new pictures.

Drosera Adelae with so much dew, that the red hairs connect with dew :)

d4323d00.jpg

And new leaf on D. Capensis "giant" ;) So happy!

de024037.jpg

2b24f2ba.jpg

Now all I need is a sweet new macro lens...

I'd say you're doing pretty well with whatever you've got on the camera now. You might consider using a tripod, if you don't already, and locking your shutter to the smallest aperture if you can. This would allow you to have more of your photos in focus. Just a thought.

The smaller the aperture, the smaller the field of focus, thoguh, right? F2.7 is the lowest, but it barely focuses anything, whereas F8 gets the whole filed of view.

I am using a Canon Powershot SX40, but my family has a nikon D40 getting fixed! Hopefully I can buy a maro lens for the D40. Professional :)

Thanks,

Will

They're looking pretty happy! The adelae will probaby be much happier there then where I keep them. They really appreciate higher humidity and lower light.

The smaller the aperture, the smaller the field of focus, thoguh, right? F2.7 is the lowest, but it barely focuses anything, whereas F8 gets the whole filed of view.

The smaller the aperture the greater the field of focus (depth of field) for a lens. The smallest aperture of a lens will the largest number in the aperture range - in your case the F8. 'Sounds like you already have a handle on it.

Okay! That kind of reminds me of acid and basic materials! Basic is higher, acidic is lower.
It makes sense though if you think about it, because it is opened the smallest amount.
Thanks for the help,
Will

The rationale is that aperture numbers actually are '1/x' so your F8 is actually F 1/8 which is of course smaller than F 1/2.7. It helps me to remember that it is the same way with shutter speeds.

Makes sense! Thanks for the tip.

Well, the update came sooner than expected. Found the battery charger ;D
Some of the pictures are a bit blurry because I cropped them.
I took leaf cuttings last night of D. Capensis "Giant" and I clipped down Adelae pretty good last week.
Here are the updated pictures, I hope you enjoy:

Drosera Adelae:

Showing off the "Lance Leaved Sundew" name pretty well:

d7dc7994.jpg

Unfurling Leaf:

38335aaf.jpg

And I got a bit overwhelmed on the feeding... Just a little? :eek:

01c8596c.jpg

I accidentally left a root sticking out when I planted it, and now this sprouted up... It's a baby Adelae!

ce2d0b9d.jpg

Drosera Nidiformis:

Just a few cool macro shots:

28a4a316.jpg

And this one isn't in focus as much, but look at those flies... Bye bye!

5fb45eb3.jpg

Drosera Spatulata:

This one is hard to get completely in focus, so I just took a full tank shot:

a88ecb9c.jpg

Drosera Capensis "Giant"

This thing spews out dew like nobody's business.

af283394.jpg

6c867586.jpg

a83cfe68.jpg

Leaf Cuttings:

Drosera Adelae, a ton of leaves 8)

75becc98.jpg

Drosera Nidiformis, not looking too good in the petri dish...

912ded22.jpg

Drosera Capensis "Giant" I cut last night, looking good!

27ebac55.jpg

That's it for the update!

I just got my Nikon D40 Back from the shop, so hopefully there will be new pictures in the future, and maybe a new macro lens? ???

Will

check those

I messed up the first time :(

But it is all fixed!

Very happy looking plants. I need to hunt down a capensis giant someday and see how it compares to others.

Cheers,

Joe

awesome plants! good luck!

Back