What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia "Big Easy" propegation pics

Brie

Sarracenia freak
I transferred these guys out of their "sprouting cups" today and into some "big boy" media and jiffy pots for ease of transfer. They're growing by leaps and bounds, with the tallest being 2" tall already.

6939590936_3db2027b9d_o.jpg

6939590850_e4168a0687_o.jpg

6939590976_66677e6527_o.jpg

6939591046_628ecf5222_o.jpg

6939591086_bd10031e40_o.jpg

The same babies just 7 days ago
6916571622_9bcb703079_o.jpg

7062654261_2760cd16ff_o.jpg

7062654333_633cd4bf06_o.jpg

Lookin Awsome!!! You sure do have the touch ;)

Awesome, Brie! I was just considering doing some root cuttings of my own - glad to see your method was a success.

congrats Brie!

Awesome, Brie! I was just considering doing some root cuttings of my own - glad to see your method was a success.

Super easy.. just clip off a couple of the thickest, longest roots.. Cut up into 1-2" pieces and put on wet LFS in an enclosed clear container. I didnt submerge them but kept the waterline right at where the roots were..

Looking good. Grows much faster than leaf propagation. Probably helps to have a nice strong root already ready to go :)

Looking awesome, Brie, thanks for sharing this. If I may ask; what kind of light did you use and how far was it from the roots ? Or does it not matter ?

Looking awesome, Brie, thanks for sharing this. If I may ask; what kind of light did you use and how far was it from the roots ? Or does it not matter ?

Thanks. :) I dont think it really matters as long as the roots get strong light from somewhere.. Mine were about 6-8" away from T8s..

OK I think I get the idea now, thanks much again :0)

Oh wow, he makes it look so easy, right ? :0) Great thread, thanks for letting me know about it. I don't have "Big Easy", I have the typical one, hope it's going to work for it just as well.

Beautifully done. My own efforts with the typical variety don't look nearly as good.

Aw they are so adorable! Congrats on the babies Brie!

Thanks Max and Heather :)

Very nice! Approximately how long from when you made the cuttings to get to that point?

I believe we're on week 4 now?

Brie,
Do you think submerge in water works for other Droseras or not? Thanks.

Brie,
Do you think submerge in water works for other Droseras or not? Thanks.

Do you mean root cuttings? Alot of drosera will sprout from root cuttings but not all.. Check out Growsundews.com, he talks about propagation with each species. Root cuttings, leaf cuttings, etc.

Great propagation thread Brie! I was amazed at how fast root cutting take hold with D regia. It is a wonder why this species is so rare when it is so easy to grow..Whether from seed or cuttings. Maybe more people will be more willing to take on root cuttings after seeing this thread. :)

I can say this technique works for both seed grown D. regia and D. regia 'Clone C' Bainskloof RSA. I have a third D. regia with no data, it works with it as well. I have found with root cuttings it's not necessary for them to be kept so wet (though either way works well). I use small zip lock bags with LFS. I hydrate the LFS well but don't have it sopping wet. I add the root cuttings, about 1/2" segments or so, and mix them around in the LFS in the bag. Zip it up and place it under lights. In a few weeks I have growth. I'm currently doing an experiment using leaf cuttings in very wet conditions. I can say for certain my dryer technique that I use for roots, does NOT work with the leaves. They turn black within a matter of days. So far it's been about a week. Only one out of the four leaves has started to partially turn black. The other three still have dew and look healthy. I have the water line right up to the cuttings which are resting on a bed of LFS and I have the container covered. I believe I'm using the seed grown regia leaves, would have to check the tag to verify.

Crystal

Back