What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae - some pics of the species

Cindy

Staff member
Leaf cuttings laid under some live sphagnum moss. Buds usually start appearing on the leaves in less than two weeks.
drosera_adelae_leaf_cuttings.jpg

Plantlets from leaf cuttings. I was careless and let the media turn mouldy. But somehow the plantlets still seem quite happy. :lol:
drosera_adelae_plantlets.jpg

New plants that are about 1"-2" across and ready to be potted up.
drosera_adelae_plantlets_transplant.jpg

Plants in higher light levels have red colouration on the main veins and tentacles. Leaves are narrower.
drosera_adelae_plantlets_high_light.jpg

Plants in lower light levels are green with red tentacles. Leaves are broader.
drosera_adelae_plantlets_low_light.jpg

Established plants growing in an undrained container.
drosera_adelae_plantlets_undrained_bowl.jpg

Close-up
drosera_adelae_plantlets_undrained_bowl2.jpg

Nice pictures. Do you have a problem with them spreading to other pots?

It's like a salad!

Nice pictures. Do you have a problem with them spreading to other pots?

Hi, I am not quite sure what you mean.

The species doesn't flower in my growing conditions so it stays where it grows. Plantlets pop up in the pot from the roots of mature plants but both leaf and root cuttings strike as easily for me.

Oddly enough, in late winter, this does flower, right on a window sill.

I've never gotten them to flower. Too hot here, I suppose. :(

VERY nice Cindy! I LOVE Adelae as you may know! Great job!

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I've never gotten them to flower. Too hot here, I suppose. :(

Maybe. Try shading them a bit next winter.

Ironically, that is Tommy's profile picture!

I've had two pots of D. adelae for a few years now, and while one is acting like it wants to die, the other pot has flowers right now. Amazingly red they are!

My friend next door has his growing on his windowsill and it's shot up 5 flower stalks. Need to get some pics of it to show you all.

My 3 year old 'Tray of Adelae' blooming this late winter:

IMG_0964.jpg

My 3 year old 'Tray of Adelae' blooming this late winter:

IMG_0964.jpg

Holy crap!:0o:
My adelae never looked that nice! Of coarse I only had it for a few months before I traded it... But still looks really cool :-D

100_9639.jpg

100_9658.jpg

Nice macros Jim! I have to reshoot my flowers next year, the one in my avatar is a tiny bit blurred.

Ooooo, finally a picture thread I can contribute to! *goes to dig through his pic threads...*

A pot I donated to the auction last year:
1%20(3)%20-%20Copy.JPG

A giant one:
IMG_4176.JPG

Flowers:
1%20(13).png

1%20(16).png

1%20(14).png

1%20(15).png

And since some of you can't get them to flower, I have MORE than enough flowers to go 'round!
2012-05-02_23-13-09_246.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Oh, and D. adelae does not readily produce seed. I've tried with my own plants, with no success. SDCPs tried with what were presumably two genetically different plants; I assume he also had no success since I never heard back about it. It CAN be a weed, to an extent, because it DOES very readily spread through roots. You can yank a plant out, but if you leave even a tiny bit of root behind, it'll probably grow a new plant. I started with one small plant from Lowes and a year later I have what you see above. Too many to count. Whenever I finally get around to repotting that minibog, there'll definitely be a giveaway, lol...

Well, I can't compete with those shots! VERY NICE!

The flower spikes look so architectural! I need to put mine in a windowsill.

Hey tommyr: is there a yellow-flowered clone in your group pic, or is that just cmaera flash? A yellow would be so cool!

Camera flash.

Wowser powser!

Back