What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. filifolia and B. liniflora(?)

Cindy

Staff member
B. filifolia (taller plant on the left) and B. liniflora(?)
byblis_forms.jpg

B. filifolia - leaves are almost 20cm long, large flowers with narrow lilac petals
byblis_filifolia_4or5_flower.jpg

Anther length cf filaments - longer. Pedicels longer than leaves - no
byblis_filifolia_4or5_flower_close-up.jpg

B. liniflora(?) - mauve flowers atypical of liniflora; may be mislabelled so will try self-pollination to confirm ID
byblis_liniflora_mislabelled_flower.jpg

Sepals are dark
byblis_liniflora_mislabelled_sepals.jpg

byblis_liniflora_mislabelled_flower_back.jpg

Anther length cf filaments - half. Pedicels longer than leaves - yes
byblis_liniflora_mislabelled_flower_side.jpg

IDK what they are, but they sure are beautiful!

More seeds for ya, bro? :bigthumpup:

I could probably do a better job, with more wisdom and hindsight. Here's my latest project for what is left:

007-12.jpg

008-6.jpg

Taken earlier this week:

004-13.jpg

004-14.jpg

I couldn't extract pollen no matter what I tried.

I agree with Jim - they are beautiful. The 'liniflora' flowers just don't look like any I've grown and your plant is a lot more robust. Perhaps your growing conditions are just better. I did find several photos of very similar flowers in the Photofinder but most under liniflora look like the ones I have grown. Is there any loose pollen, Cindy - or do they need to be buzzed to release it?

Hi Mark,

The seeds came labelled as B. liniflora. I have grown the species before but the colour of the flower and the thickness of the stem are very different.

I have tried pollinating the flowers and here are the results.

1. A fruit is formed on the 1st flower which is self-pollinated. Not sure if there is seed in it at the moment. Interestingly, the pedicel is still upright.

2. A fruit is formed on the 2nd flower which is cross-pollinated with the plant on the left. The fruit is significantly larger. The pedicel is lowered.

The chance of natural cross-pollination between the two plants is very low as my growing conditions do not have buzzing insects like bees. Also, the humidity is constantly high and that impedes self-pollination.

I just plain dissected and butchered the flowers to obtain nothing at all! Reminds me of 10th grade Biology and cutting a planarian into 3 sections to achieve 3 new planaria. I killed all 3 sections!

Nice plants Cindy what ever there identity. Jim excuse my ignorance but is it normal to have Byblis so wet? I find it really hard to find information on how to grow Byblis well but what i have seen says that they like dryer conditions except aquatica. They still look pretty happy so I'm quite interested.

Hi Jim,

To add on to what Kinabalufan said...I too think that most Byblis species prefer drier media so I allow the media (sphagnum) to dry out a little before watering from the bottom. On hot days, the pots are light enough to be blown off the rack by the wind. B. aquatica seems to hate my conditons...they germinate, they do well as little ones and once they start taking off, they die soon after. Sigh...

An update of the two plants in the thread.

B. filifolia "large lilac flowers".
byblis_filifolia_large_lilac_flowers1.jpg

B. liniflora (?) identified as B. aff. filifolia "flowers purple on both sides of petals" Theda Station, Kimberley. The fruits on the left - formed with pollen of the B. filifolia. Fruits on the right - from self-pollination.
byblis_aff_filifolia_purple_flowers.jpg

The two plants together for comparison.
byblis_aff_filifolia_left.jpg

The seeds from the cross (B. aff. filifolia x B. filifolia).
byblis_aff_filifolia_x_filifolia.jpg

Seeds vary in size (the largest and the smallest)
byblis_aff_filifolia_x_filifolia_seeds.jpg

The seeds from B. filifolia "large lilac flowers" selfed
byblis_filifolia_selfed.jpg

Last edited:
Back