What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Peltata, need advice

Hey all

Just got a new D. Peltata today and it's my first tuberous sundew. I know that it should be dormant during the summer but it's alive and well, and the shop keeper said it's been growing for at least 6 weeks already.

When should I dry it out for dormancy, and how long should it sleep?

S6300977-1.jpg

S6300978-1.jpg

Also, I managed to get ~30 seeds out of it. Should I sow these now, or store them somehow? I could trade them off potentially too.

S6300980.jpg

Thanks for everything!

I would say that 6 months growing period and 6 months dormancy would work.

A dormancy that long isn't necessary. However, let the plant tell you what to do. When it decides it's ready to go to sleep, it will. If not, I wouldn't force it. Also, sow the seeds about a month and a half before you wake the plant up.

really depends on how mild your climate is. Here in Kula, HI I can sow them in the spring, summer, fall and they germinate and grow on time. My climate is cool, mild and very little chance of frosts. So my time frame differs from many people because if I sow in spring it is possible for me to get two growing seasons in one year and get large flowering plants . Temperature and daylenght will give the plant cues as to when it will go dormant. Best bet is to watch for those signs and listen to what the plant is telling you.

When it goes dormant it will start to die down to the roots/tuber. Let the pot dry out completely and keep it out of direct sunlight so the tuber won't cook. When you start seeing growth again start to gradually water it again. Tray watering is recommended. How long dormancy lasts depends on the individual plant and your climate. It can be from 6 weeks to 6 months. Typical is around 2-4 months.

D. peltata is rather forgiving compared to other tuberous Drosera and will tolerate some water when dormant.

I keep my pink flowered D. peltata in the same location all year long. They get watered every couple days. They grow when they want (which is most of the year) and drop seed all over the place which germinates within a couple weeks. They do eventually die down for a brief rest sometime during the Summer. I just leave the pots as is and don't bother with any sort of drying off. It really is a weed...

I keep my pink flowered D. peltata in the same location all year long. They get watered every couple days. They grow when they want (which is most of the year) and drop seed all over the place which germinates within a couple weeks. They do eventually die down for a brief rest sometime during the Summer. I just leave the pots as is and don't bother with any sort of drying off. It really is a weed...

Aloha Tony is that the one that was D. peltata ssp auriculata ? I see it doing the same here also.

Back