What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tuberous dew question

So getting them to break dormancy and grow has turned out to be the easy part. But..

How in the heck do I get them to STOP growing!?!? These darn things won't stop putting up new growth. I've dried the pots out, moved them to a warmer darker place.. you name it. They just continue to put up new growth like the world is ending.

They just continue to put up new growth like the world is ending

well... alot of ppl say it is... so maybie thats the problem :)

Anybody? ???

No.

bummer.

Photoperiod and temperature range?

In my greenhouse they start to die back late winter/early spring as the days lengthen and temperatures begin to warm, regardless of how wet the pots are. It's not a huge difference in temperatures so I suspect it's more related to photoperiod.

So then.. put them outside?

er I dunno..

More details on how you are currently growing them might help.

which species?......ive found zigzagia will not go into dormancy for me no mater what ive tried......been growing it for 3 or 4 years now as a "house plant"......seems happy and individual tubers go dormant but the entire pot refuses to be dormant at the same time......i let it dry between waterings and it seems to keep from rotting dormant tubers while letting the active growers get enough water....

OOoooh! Right now they're in the GH.. again.
Temps: low 80*s day ~ upper 50*s night
15 hours of light (9am to midnight)
humidity is 80%+ constant

The pots are on a rack with no water trays. Up higher where it's warmer, but away from the brightness of the T5's.

Rattler: The species I can't get dormant are D. squamosa, D. lowriei 'Giant', D. tubestylis, and D. peltata. All of the others are dormant.. BUT, I think my macrophylla is already waking back up.

Well you got me.. You can not force them.. you end up risking losing them if they are forced to go dormant too quickly and there is no proper tuber formed.

The whole growth/dormancy/back to growth thing is a package deal between moisture, temperature, and light cycles over the period of an entire year. I am guessing they are just totally confused at this point and no matter what you do they will keep doing what they are doing.

If you have some extra pots you can try putting them outside and keeping them 'on the drier side' to see if you can get them into a syncronized summer dormancy.

Ya know.. I was kind of afraid of this too.
With a forced dormancy break, I really wondered what it'd take to "unbreak" that growth. My GH is the same temps and light period year round because it's setup for HL neps.
SO... what's to tell the tubers that winter is over? ya know..

I can stick them outside in a couple stacked aquariums. That'll protect them from the elements.
As for our weather, it's almost identical to the GH conditions right now. Just with not as long of light periods (obviously). So now is probably the best time to transition them.
If all goes well, we may have just come up with my yearly "solution".
Thanks again Tony. I appreciate you taking the time to help out a single grower.

Well maybe it's not the end of the world if they are growing on and off year round and it's healthy. Changing things now might do more harm than good.

Well maybe it's not the end of the world if they are growing on and off year round and it's healthy. Changing things now might do more harm than good.

Guess now would be a good time to mention that this is my first year with tuberous dews. I got them last fall, woke them up right away, and now wondering what I'm wondering.
So I wouldn't say they've been growing on and "off" just yet.
The only exception is my D. peltata. That pot has had constant growth for nearly 2 years.

Back