What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats the trick to growing tiny drosera?

I have had a few before and 1st time failed miserably....guess the it was humid enough and they wilted. second time they lasted a while but then perished...had em in a small pot with a dome but think it might have gotten too hot in there.

This time I have some more....I changed the medium to just LFS from peat/perlite/sand, this time they are in a tray instead of just the pot and I am keeping them inside under a 10,000 lumens light altho i would really like to put them outside in the sun but seems every time i do they keel over.

When putting them out into sunlight, are you just placing them out there and leaving them, or are you using a couple week acclimation process? If you're just leaving them out the day you move them, that's why they die.

also depends on what type of dew, pygmys will go dormant in hot weather

rotundafolia mostly. i just leave them out there and mist the dome about once a day....this time they are inside under the light tho. im thinking the problem was since they weren't in the tray they may have gotten a little dryer.....looks like they need a little more sogginess since they do not really have roots with any kind of length.

this time i have spatulata....should i try to put it in the sun again or stick with the growlight?

One of the keys to growing almost any plant is to understand it's growing conditions in its natural habitat. Usually you want to mimic them or get somewhat close - especially if you have no experience with the species.

i just leave them out there and mist the dome about once a day...
This sounds like you're creating a solar cooker rather than copying a natural environment ... :0o:

Never put plants in sunlight in those domes. If anything, just start with ditching the dome altogether.

Back