What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. guehoi seeds - variation within species

Cindy

Staff member
The plant on the right started branching earlier but the other did not until the main stem broke in a storm. Pollen from one is used on the other as the species do not self-pollinate.
byblis_guehoi_200712.jpg

The two flowers look different.
byblis_guehoi_flowers_190712.jpg

AND the seeds from them are also different! :-O
byblis_guehoi_seeds_closeup_190712.jpg

With bare eyes the rounder seeds are matt black as a bunch while the more angular seeds are shiny.
byblis_guehoi_seeds_190712.jpg

They are really differnt. I wonder if they have the same viability? Amazing the variation within Byblis. Its like they are speciating before our eyes.

Were these plants grown from seed from the same source, Cindy?

Gorgeous flowers!

Were these plants grown from seed from the same source, Cindy?

Hi Mark, the plants were from seeds in the same pack. I've checked the stamens, the plants seems true B. guehoi i.e. purple filaments cf lilac filaments for B. filifolia.

However, they do grow differently which is clear from the photo. I am not sure if it is because of overcrowding. There is a third plant in the pot growing between them, just 4"-5" tall. Last year, I had three B. guehoi plants in the same pot too and the fastest grower branched very early, the other two were quite late.

The flowers on my B. guehoi keep aborting before the blossom open. And I'm still waiting for the hybrid seed pods to fully ripen.

Gotta love Byblis :-D

Back