What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis dewdrops photos - the lite version

Cindy

Staff member
Alright, before anyone scrolls down and get disappointed at the poor composition of the photos and somewhat lack in photography skill... :blush:

I was trying to photograph the leaves of the different annual Byblis species and though a black background is nice, it seems to cause the dewdrops to look kinda flat.

Byblis aquatica
byblis_aquatica_dewdrops3_010912.jpg

So, I thought perhaps another colour in the background would be nice.
byblis_aquatica_dewdrops2_010912.jpg

However, I didn't have any red paper or cloth with me and resorted to using my daughter's balloon flower.
byblis_aquatica_dewdrops_010912.jpg

byblis_aquatica_dewdrops4_010912.jpg

byblis_aquatica_dewdrops1_010912.jpg

Then I thought of adding a drop of water to show how big (rather, how small) the dewdrops are...
byblis_aquatica_dewdrops6_010912.jpg

byblis_aquatica_dewdrops5_010912.jpg

And I digressed.
byblis_aquatica_dewdrops7_010912.jpg

byblis_aquatica_dewdrops9_010912.jpg

It got really out of hand after that. :crazy:

Byblis guehoi
byblis_guehoi_dewdrops2_010912.jpg

byblis_guehoi_dewdrops1_010912.jpg

byblis_guehoi_dewdrops_010912.jpg

My daughter's storybook as the background.
byblis_guehoi_dewdrops3_010912.jpg

byblis_guehoi_dewdrops4_010912.jpg

byblis_guehoi_dewdrops5_010912.jpg

Her fav cartoon characters again.
byblis_guehoi_dewdrops6_010912.jpg

byblis_guehoi_dewdrops7_010912.jpg

I finally gave up when my arms ached badly from holding up the different items and the camera. :-))

Man I wish my camera could do that!

What a fun series of photos, thanks for sharing.

These are awesome!!! What camera/lens are you using?

Those are such fantastic photos, I never realized how minuscule the drops were...

Really cool pics! The water droplet definitely did a good job showing how small the dew drops are.

These are awesome!!! What camera/lens are you using?

Hi Michelle,

I used the
- Olympus E-3
- Zuiko 50mm
- ZUIKO DIGITAL Extension Tube EX-25

Olympus is not as popular as Canon or Nikon but my dad has been a fan for the longest time. He was working as a medical technologist before he retired and used Olympus and Nikon microscopes for decades. However, he prefers the colour the Olympus camera lends to the people in the photographs as it gives them a stronger rosy pink skin tone. I own only the Sony Cybershot. :blush:

it DID get out of hand. But in a cool way..
Great pics.

:lol: Nicely shot, Cindy. They are, in addition to being a lot of fun to look at, a good illustration of what works with backgrounds. I think I prefer Grover to Hello, Kitty. 'Just my opinion.

Those are fantastic! Beautiful work, and who cares if you got a bit carried away? You seem to have enjoyed it, and that's what matters. :)

When I first saw hellokitty in the drop of water I though huh? then I couldnt help smiling through the rest of the photos its really interestinmg the difference the background makes I will have to try this on other forums ha ha It reminds me of the bloodworm "writing" on the pinguicula you did a while ago.

Back