What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting my Drosera graomagolensis, what a shocker!

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Man I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I figured it was time for a good re-potting.
At the ICPS/NECPS show I removed a few plants for trade with some people but wasn't able to get the full root out for each plant, now I know why.
The pot they have been growing in for a few years is 14" tall, well if you look at the pictures below you will see the roots went the 14+ inches.
The Sphagnum moss was starting to get a bit mushy so I am glad I did re-pot it. The only other thing in the mix is chunky perlite.
The roots were all threw the mix. What a pain it was trying to separate everything! Some of the roots are like 18 inches long with white tips like they were still growing.
One photo here shows a root I placed in water, you can see all the little hairs on the root. Looks like a rat tail!
Well all has been re potted and I have a ton of roots I am laying out just under long fiber sphagnum moss for root cuttings. Seems to propagate very easily that way.
I really wonder if such a tall pot is really nessary? One thing I do know is that the roots are all very thick and not confined like they would be in a 6" pot. Healthy roots makes a healthy plant.
Thanks for looking, Been some time since I have been on here.
JMatt

The plants in the 14 in pot.

dsc06066v.jpg

dsc06067k.jpg

Trying to take apart all those thick black roots!

dsc06726d.jpg

dsc06729mb.jpg

dsc06728g.jpg

A smaller 2 " plant.

dsc06724x.jpg

dsc06725b.jpg

Root under water, note the hairs.

dsc06723gt.jpg

That is awesome Jeff!!!

I saw it at ICPS, wish we had a chance to meet up..... nice growing.
They dont seem to do near as well in shallow pots in my experience.

Well done, instant classic images!

Butch

That is awesome Jeff!!!

I saw it at ICPS, wish we had a chance to meet up..... nice growing.
They dont seem to do near as well in shallow pots in my experience.

Well done, instant classic images!

Butch

Hey there Butch,
I can't believe I didn't see you at the show!
I saw pictures of you there, that's about it.
It was crazy there, had to guard my fly traps most of the time.
Good hearing from you. Well the plants will look much better this winter.
They always do for me anyways.
Take care.
Jeff

oh good Lord. Guess I'd better jump on that train too then.
Have mine been in the same pot for the same amount of time?

Hey Mass,
No yours was a pup off of the big pot.
You might want to re pot though. I'll bet yours has roots close to the bottom of your pot by now.
JMatt

I remember seeing that pot, and I never imagined the roots were that big. Very impressive.

Amazing! I remember absorbing every bit of information about the pot at ICPS. Really impressive!

So, tall pots? And sphagnum perlite as the medium? Do they sit in water?

Really incredibly grown plants!

In recent years I have really come to appreciate the use of deep pots.
I have had better growth & less problems with the use of pots over 5" or 6" deep for nearly everything I grow.

Seeing this is no surprise actually. Consider that in nature, a plants roots have access to a lot more room than we usually allow them.
Nice pics! It really drives home just what our plants are capable of.
And of course...VERY NICE PLANTS you have there!
(ALL OF THEM!)
Congrats!

Sweet pictures. I've never considered pots that tall, but wow those are some awesome roots. Thanks for sharing!

awesome! A pot that size would be superb for preventing the root-related issues that I and so many others have had w/ this spcs. Also a great medium mix and a good idea to replace the media every year to prevent problems. Spot on with everything! Nice work.

Fabulous! Looks like I need to try these dews.

Hey jmatt pretty impressive. Glad to see you still like the macrame you made with my gf at the icps convention.

That is INSANE.. I would of never guessed the roots were that long! Makes me want to repot mine into tall PVC.. Maybe i'll do that today.

So, decided to repot my graomo from you today JM. Kind of glad I did.. the roots had wandered down to the bottom of the pot, then back up to the top, then back down to the bottom. They were so tangled and snagged it was impossible to get them all out in one piece.
SO.. graomo is now in Mass Propagation.
Pun totally intended.

put the main plant in a super tall tree pot that dwarfs the green octagon one it came in. Hoping to see it go buckwild now!

So, decided to repot my graomo from you today JM. Kind of glad I did.. the roots had wandered down to the bottom of the pot, then back up to the top, then back down to the bottom. They were so tangled and snagged it was impossible to get them all out in one piece.
SO.. graomo is now in Mass Propagation.
Pun totally intended.

put the main plant in a super tall tree pot that dwarfs the green octagon one it came in. Hoping to see it go buckwild now!

Sounds good Mass,
That's funny about the roots! That was a small skinny pot.
The roots in my big pot were a bit overwhelming too. If everything works out in time I should have an explosion of little plants from all of my extra roots.
Perfect timing with the cooler weather coming.
Jeff

If everything works out in time I should have an explosion of little plants from all of my extra roots.
Perfect timing with the cooler weather coming.
Jeff

my thoughts exactly.. :bigthumpup:

Wow! Some serious roots there. 'Very nice-looking graos, too.

What max temps can they tolerate in this way? Would low 80s for a few weeks kill them?

Super cool plants :)

just checked on the root cuttings I took when repotting. We're about to have a LOT of graomo's!!

Back