What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite Drosera?

There's something I love about Capensis and if I could only grow one sundew, it would be D. capensis. It looks very graceful, grows in a wide variety of conditions, the leaves move rather dramatically around prey, and is very easy to reproduce.

IMO, the cape sundew is probably the perfect sundew for any collection. Just because it's so common doesn't mean it shouldn't be appreciated.

DroseraCapensis-1.jpg

Drosera zonaria or Graomogolensis.

As for tuberous dews, I have yet to grow but aspire to have Drosera gigantea. It's just so massive, like a tree of dew.

Drosera regia its the king for a reason! I like the capes too and if there were any petiolaris grown in New Zealand my answer might be different.

All great candidates, no doubt. But currently my fave is the humble Drosera aliciae. Easy to grow, dewy, pretty large and beautiful.

P6163675.jpg

P6163708.jpg

underrated indeed. but I haven't been able to grow it long term.

i have many favorite dews!
drosera derbyensis
d. broomensis
d. lanata
d. arcturi
d. erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa
d. zonaria
d. hilaris
d. citrina
d. cistiflora

but i guess of the plants i successfully grow now, i'll go with drosera filiformis
and of the plants i've grown in the past and am ready to try again, d. ordensis

I am a new hoppyist here and a member gave me Drosera Capensis- red leaf and it is doing so good spreading and when the sun hits it just right it is beautiful so being a newbie this if my favorite so far? I have mine outside right now in full sun too.

Bluemax your Drosera Aliciae is awesome..

no one today is really showcasing the group & doing them justice (again imho).

your wish is my command:
7374062716_ac4506af46_o.png

broomensis, darwinensis, derbyensis, diliatatopetiolaris, falconeri, fulva, kenneallyi, lanata, ordensis, paradoxa

and whole plants:
thepetiolariscomplex.png

but to answer the question, i do love this complex--my favorite of the bunch would be lanata. though i couldnt fully appreciate lanata unless i had the ENTIRE complex to compare it with. XD

Last edited:
my favorite is Prolifera...i find its form very attractive, plus the plantlets on the tips are very interesting.

edit: Amphirion, that's such a cool photo.

Bluemax your Drosera Aliciae is awesome..

Thanks, swamp thing. This is an old pic - it's now out of the tower because it needed more width for it's roots.

Love that spectrum of petiolaris 'dews, Amp.

Whatever I can grow successfully, LOL. I love them all, from temperate to topical and hard to pic an absolute favorite.

This! ^^

I'd have to say a tie between Adelae and Scorpioides. Spatulata is also awesome but slow growing for me.

The red one with the big leaves is my favorite. :awesome:

Wow!! did not know there were so many different kinds of sundew now I know why it is so hard to pick just one favorite.. I am going to love trying to get a collection of mine owned? going to keep looking at the beautifull images of them?

I have to say the multifida extrema is currently my fave. Something about a huge gooey network of leaves that seem to unfurl forever in every direction realy does me fine.

Great pics everybody! Hve to change my shirt soon as it is nearly soaked with drool!

Back