What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivorous plants in the Cedar Mountains

Hello,

after we stayed for one night in Clanwilliam we wanted to go further north to Niewoudtville. On this way wanted to visit a location in the Cedar Mountains, where we have been in 2009 to see how the Roridula dentata are doing there.

For me, the Cedar Mountains are amongst the most spectacular landscapes i have ever seen. The rock formations are just incredible. Saddly we had not the best weather at this day.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

It should not take long until we found the first carnivorous plants. This time it was a deep red form of Drosera cistiflora. The flower colors varies from white to light pink in that population.

IMG_0520-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0525-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0530-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0533-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0534-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

The next Drosera we found is Drosera afra, a closely related species to Drosera trinervia.

IMG_0586-drosera_afra.jpg

IMG_0598-drosera_afra.jpg

IMG_0609-drosera_afra.jpg

IMG_0617-drosera_afra.jpg

This area is also know for a strange form of Drosera cistiflora, that has been discovered by G�nter Eitz some time ago, hence the informal name Drosera cistiflora "Eitz"

IMG_0664-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0805-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_0802-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

Finaly we reached the place where we found the small population of Roridula dentata in 2009. This place is maybe only 10m^2 and there are only very few plants. So we were really happy to see them still growing there!

IMG_0692-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0693-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0688-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0723-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0690-roridula_dentata.jpg

There have only been very few of the assasin bugs on the plants. I did not take pictures of any... What caught my attention were the spiders, that are living on these plants as well. You can easily spot their nests even from the distance.

IMG_0735-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0753-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0755-roridula_dentata.jpg

IMG_0747-roridula_dentata.jpg

We spent quite a lot of time there until we had to go as we had to reach Niewoudtville that day. On the way to this small town we had the chance to get a good view of the Gifberg, which was our goal for the next day (and will be my next report).

IMG_0831.jpg

You can see some more pictures (also from 2009) on the following links:

landscapes

carnivorous plants

Christian

always a pleasure seeing a post from you. Love the wild Roridula pics.. something we don't get to see very often.

Didn't realize Roridula got to that size. Beautiful stuff, Christian.

Beautiful photos Christian! thanks so much for sharing! those rock formations are astounding to say the least. perhaps this is how tepuis will look like with a hundred century's time. and those in-situ drosera....really love those cistiflora "eitz" shots.

Great photos as usual Christian. Any chance you have a shot showing the entire Roridula spot? From the photos they look to be a very good size.

Simply beautiful!

So much D. cistiflora..... Incredible diversity.

Hi,

thanks for the nice comments! Here is a pictures of an entire plant taken in 2009:

IMG_1555-dentata.jpg

Christian

Back