What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disclaimer: I know the rules of this board. I'm not looking for people to buy from or trade with, I'm simply looking for ideas on plants to grow. I have plenty of places to get them.

That being said: I'm looking ideas on for some new, fun Sundews to grow. I'm a newbie when it comes to growing dews, but have had so much fun growing them this year that I think they're quickly becoming my favorite carnivores to grow. I'm looking to double the overall # of plants I grow (or more) if possible.

But since I'm still a newbie, I want to be fair to the plants and not get some that I don't think I'll be able to handle. So, I'm hoping to find species that don't require dormancy and will do fine in my current terrarium setup (multiple T-8 bulbs, about 4-6 inches from the bulbs). The temperature is around 70-80 degrees. Humidity is at about 40% consistently. As an example, the following guys are thriving under my current conditions (and is my current list of sundews):

D. Capensis - all varieties (Red, narrow, etc)
D. aliciae
D. spatulata
D. binata
D. Intermedia "Cuba"
D. natelensis
D. binata Multifida v. extrema
D. Hamiltonii
D. Venusta

Most of the plants are becoming weeds in my current collection. Many are very colorful and show their appreciation of my current light setup. The capensis and aliciae are actually becoming somewhat of a nuisance because they keep popping up everywhere. I also let them flower and the seeds are starting to take root in some random pots. I mention this, again, to give you an indication of what's working for me.

If anyone has any dews they don't see in the list above that they, personally, love and would recommend; I'd really, really like to hear!

Thanks.

Well to start off, the three sisters are a must (adelae, schizandra and prolifera) I would start with adelae as it is the easiest, then move on to prolifera and then try and find schizandra.

I'm a big fan of capillaris forms. Especially the long arm or sp. Belem form.

As per spatulata, it is worth getting a couple of forms, as the species is quite variable.

D. nidiformis is fun, but it is a major weed.

I find burmanii and sessifolia to be quite wonderful, and interesting.

Perhaps a paradoxa could please your peculiar palate?

Pygmies are positively perfect. I only grow pygmaea at the moment, but lots of the species are nice and easy.

D. filliformis "Florida red" is fantastically fabulous. And it does not require dormancy.

Drosera tokaiensis is terribly typical, but a nice rosette indeed.

Otherwise, I recommend you take a look around various forae, search up people's growlists, and look at pics on CPPhotofinder and growsundews, then research anything you like and look at acquiring it.

If you dare to determine the dubious depths of the darling Drosera, you will find the darnedest things.

*Excuse the rhymes, it is late...

Some good, fun starter pygmies, if you're interested in pygmies, would be pulchella, scorpioides, nidiformis, enodes, omissa, pygmaea, or maybe paleacea ssp roseana... Scorpioides tends to be a favorite, looks super cool and pretty easy to grow. Should be plenty of pics online (and on this forum) of all of those species

I too am new this year to CP's and was fortunate enough to get a 'albino' X alicea from someone and it has quickly become one of my faves. The capensisX hybrids intrigue me and so I have ordered a capensis X spatulata this week to try. Hopefully it doesn't freeze in the mail!
If you are interested in the 'albino'X, I believe I have several extra 1" - 2" sized babies and would be willing to trade. PM with inquires.

Peatmoss,

What pigmies do you recommend I get as a newbie? Unless I'm mistaken, some do require hibernation, no? Some appear to die after a couple years and require gammae to keep the collection going, correct? Is this a simple process?

In particular, D. scorpioide has caught my eye.

Last edited:
@kwende: that one will work. and please do not link to vendor sites aside from flytrapshop.com. that is a forum violation.

Just saying, you're not allowed to post links to vendors' websites. Scorpioides is easy, and I believe can be grown without dormancy as a subtropical.

D. roseanna is really easy, too. They don't mind being overcrowded, either.

Got it guys, sorry for the link. I knew trying to sell or trade on here was against the rules, but missed the fact posting to actual links was bad too. Removed it. Won't happen again.

Thanks for the feedback on the pygmies!

D. madadgascariensis is a cool and easy dew, IMO.

Hello Kewende I am also a newbie and I like sundews the best ,so hoping to be able to do some trading or exchanging too? I have meant some nice people here and love the site for the information and for all the help people are willing to share with me too. So I will probably been seeing you around and maybe you can share some of your pics of your C/P would love to see some of yours? Bye for now..

Got it guys, sorry for the link. I knew trying to sell or trade on here was against the rules, but missed the fact posting to actual links was bad too. Removed it. Won't happen again.

I believe trades are allowed on this site just no promoting vendors and sales other than flytrapshop.com

Last edited:
Yeah, Shortbus is correct. You can trade, there's a whole section of this site devoted to trading. just no selling/ mentioning vendors.

Also, another fun dew is D. slackii. Should do well under your conditions

Back