What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Following my -stravaganza theme of thread titles, I am starting a thread for my sundews. Up next are my pings and heliamphora. I wouldn't say I have a lot of sundews but my collection is steadily growing. I grow all my sundews in my homemade grow rack which I'll show a picture of in this thread. I built it so I could grow mass amounts of petiolaris dews and overwinter sarr seedlings. It is pretty basic with egg crate shelves, pvc frame and two 4 tube, 4 ft High Output T5s hanging down the sides. I get temps up to around 92F during the day and it drops to about 72F at night in winter and around 76F in summer. Humidity is a little lower than I would like but I'm working on fixing that with some disc humidifiers. Without further ado.... the Dews!
Here is my grow rack

IMG_3516 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3518 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Some sundew that I grew from seed, I have no idea what it is... anyone know?

IMG_3906 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3543 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
It has bloomed for me, here are the blooms

IMG_3605 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3602 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
Some filiformis, a bunch of different varieties that I'm using for my undergraduate research project

IMG_3390 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3395 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3422 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
A platter of about 100 D. spathulata that I plan on auctioning off for the NASC auction this spring

IMG_3499 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3503 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3505 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3522 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3523 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. sp. South Africa from Wireman... unfortunately this plant as well as a few others have been attacked by a pest, you'll see the damage progression over the next couple pics

IMG_3526 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3632 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3889 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3898 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. venusta from Wireman... also attacked by pests

IMG_3527 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3891 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3897 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. aliciae from Wireman... it has pests too

IMG_3528 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3896 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. natalensis from Wireman... pests...

IMG_3892 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. hookeri, it went dormant right after I got it almost a year ago and it decided it wanted to break dormancy despite it being in petiolaris dew conditions

IMG_3893 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. petiolaris

IMG_3532 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. petiolaris Albino Form... dormant right now

IMG_3894 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. dilatato-petiolaris... unfortunately the pests have hit this too

IMG_3533 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3903 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. capensis Alba after going dormant over the summer... not sure why it did that

IMG_3890 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. fulva, looking awesome compared to everything else

IMG_3534 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. lanata also looking awesome, whatever pest I have doesn't seem to like wooly plants because both lanata and fulva have not been affected

IMG_3537 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. paradoxa from jht-union... also got hit by my mystery pest immediately after repotting...

IMG_3901 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3902 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
My pygmy dews, lookin pretty good... and not so pygmy anymore they're bigger than the spathulatas in the spathulata platter

IMG_3538 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3606 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3904 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3905 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. capensis Giant from Brie

IMG_3539 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3888 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_3900 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
And now for my infamous pests, no idea what they are anybody know? My best guess is thrips/aphids, not really sure.

IMG_3895 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed!

Aphids. look for the cornicles on the abdomen. dual exhaust pipes.. cast skins making white dandruff easy give away that these guys (er gals as most are female except with the onset of winter) are active and multiplying like mad...

thanks kula, will pyrethrin get rid of them? Thats what i've got handy.

probably. will work. not sure on phytotoxicity of your particular product. no efficasy data.

Yeah aphids for sure. Honeydew and sooty mold are sure to follow if left to their own devices. Good stuff tho and holy crap-photo slam-lol. I am growing mostly in a tent GH also and have found humidity to be really easy if you mount a little 4" fan on the bottom shelf in a corner pointing upwards. The air circulation seems very beneficial to the plants and due to the night and day temp fluctuations in temp the lower portions of the "tent-house" will have a higher humidity. The fan just pushes it to where it's needed-up in the warmer levels. I hope to start my tent-house thread in the next few weeks to express to the beginners how affordable and easy starting up a TH can be.

Love the taro/heart planter btw!

Thanks it was like $5 at homegoods and i think it's supposed to be an Alocasia leaf but it doesn't really matter, its a leaf full of other leafy things :D

Looks like the D. aliciae made 2 crowns. Those look like the aphids that nearly killed my Hydnophytum. I'm willing to bet that's where they came from.

Huh. Didn't realize Drosera capensis could go dormant. That explains the look of some of my past capensis, actually. I thought they were dying or dead, they were actually dormant.

Also: Wow, the side lights is a brilliant idea, and I wish I had thought of it. I wonder if I could find a way to adapt my Lowes wireframe grow racks to work with side lights like that. I could get 2-3 racks going with just a little more effort that way. Great, great idea!

I used to have a lowes grow rack probably identical to yours, it collapsed under the weight of all of my plants which is why i built my own. If you are going to do the side lights be warned that it creates A LOT of heat and can bake your plants fairly quickly. If I didn't have a couple fans going and a humidifier it would get up to about 105F during the day and only cool to about 85F at night. Thanks though and it's not so much that they have gone dormant it's more that I'm not giving them the care they need so they burn themselves out and when I start to care for them again they start coming back.

First update in awhile. Enjoy!

IMG_4739 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4738 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4736 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

As I showed in my previous pictures I had a pretty bad aphid infestation. I have treated repeatedly and they are finally gone, however something else has taken their place. However, the different pesticides I tried really took a toll on many of my plants. After almost dying completely some of them have come back strong and others quite slowly.

D. capensis Alba

IMG_4734 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. sp. South Africa

IMG_4733 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4732 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. venusta

IMG_4731 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4730 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. natalensis

IMG_4729 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. omissa x pulchella and some other hybrid

IMG_4727 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. paradoxa

IMG_4726 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4725 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. petiolaris, this one was hit pretty hard

IMG_4724 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. caduca, this is all that is left after aphids, pyrethrin treatments, Bayer Rose pesticide treatments, and whatever this new pest is

IMG_4723 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. lanata

IMG_4722 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. fulva

IMG_4721 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. capillaris Escambia Co., FL

IMG_4720 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

IMG_4719 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
One of my unknown seed grown dews

IMG_4718 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
Upon inspecting my sarracenia seedlings I found hundreds of these dews popping up everywhere

IMG_4716 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. burmanii Darwin Seedlings

IMG_4714 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr
D. indica seedlings

IMG_4713 by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

That's it for now!

nice pics. what's the yellow flower from?

P. lutea Escambia Co., FL, those pics are gonna be updated soon for my ping thread.

hey mason, are you keeping those petiolaris dews warm enough? by warm, i mean nights no lower than 75. lower temps will lead to dormancy, and even death if not dealt with correctly. only asking because you're growing them alongside south african sundews, which in general appreciate cooler conditions than those.

the unknowns......dielsiana maybe?

Yea amph the nights are usually around 75-80 they look bad because of the pesticides I promise give them a few months and they should improve.

Good to see the recovery. Good luck identifying all of those seedlings. Are some of the petiolaris complex plants flowering?

How about another update now that I actually have some decent editing software I can make my iPhone photos passable. Here we go!
D. burmanii Darwin seedlings

D. burmanii Darwin 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. indica seedlings

D. indica 1 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

D. indica 2 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. venusta before cleanup

D. venusta 1 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. venusta after cleanup

D. venusta 2 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. sp. South Africa

D. sp. South Africa 2 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

D. sp. South Africa 1 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. pulchella x occidentalis

D. pulchella x occidentalis 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. omissa x pulchella

D. omissa x pulchella 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. natalensis

D. natalensis 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

D. capensis Giant 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. fulva

D. fulva 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. capillaris Pensacola, Escambia Co., FL

D. capillaris Pensacola 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
D. paradoxa

D. paradoxa 2-6-13 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

That's it for now! Enjoy!

how does sp. south africa and venusta differ in your opinion? they look very similar if not identical to me.

Back