What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

after having a great day around the Gifberg we traveled back South to Tulbagh. On this way we wanted to take the opportunity to take a look on a location close to Nieuwoudtville we discovered in 2009.

The day was almost as nice as the day before on Gifberg! So, we were full of hope to see some nice plants and maybe some open flowers of the Drosera cistiflora, that grow there. Besides D. cistiflora, there are also some nice, large U. bisquamata at this location. But, the most interesting plant there is a small rosette forming plant. This plant seems to be somewhere between Drosera afra and Drosera alba. But, first take a look on the somehow strange D. cistiflora, that are growing there:

IMG_1417-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1428-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1396-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1413-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1420-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1425-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

Another interesting thing is, that the pollinators there are small blue beetles:

IMG_1454.jpg

(i have seen them in the flower too, but did not take a picture)

The form of Utricularia bisquamata, that is growing there is one of the largest i have so far seen. The color is as well different to what i know from cultivation.

IMG_1323-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_1324-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_1331-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_1378-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

The actual reason why we wanted to go there by all means is the strange rosette forming plants. They seem to be somewhere between Drosera alba and Drosera afra. As this might be a new taxa, we are refering to this one as Drosera sp. Nieuwoudtville.

IMG_1320-drosera_sp_nieuwoudtville.jpg

IMG_1342-drosera_sp_nieuwoudtville.jpg

IMG_1345-drosera_sp_nieuwoudtville.jpg

IMG_1371-drosera_sp_nieuwoudtville.jpg

IMG_1365-drosera_sp_nieuwoudtville.jpg

I don't think i need to mention, that the other plants there are very interesting too.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

We decided to take the route to Ceres as this looked like the nicest option. On this way we stoped on a place where we found some nice white flowered Drosera cistiflora.

IMG_1470-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1481-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

Finally we reached Tulbagh early afternoon. On our terrace we had the chance to see that little creature:

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

Another nice and successfull day! We just had to finish it with the one or the other wine :)

Christian

You're an amazing photographer! the flora & fauna you have captured looks amazing. Thank you for sharing

Whoa! That hairy little beetle is very pretty! Wonderful photography and thanks for sharing with us!

Back