What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adding hormones to seedlings grown in vivo?(in a pot)

Hello i was wondering if anyone had tried or had any theories as to wether it might be possible to mist drosera capensis seedlings with Benzylamino purine or gibberellic acid to speed up the growth of the plants so that they would be ready for sale sooner? i was thinking something like 25ppm benzylamino purine or 100ppm gibberellic acid. any thought are appreciated.

I wouldn't bother or waste time and money on that effort, since auxins, cytokinins (BAP) and gibberellins generally have an effect on early development, to which plants quickly become habituated; and have a very limited use thereafter, aside from use as a preservative of sorts for harvested vegetables; or as a stimulant to produce greater and larger cluster of grapes (in the case of GA3).

The advantages of quicker growth in TC is linked not only to the PGRs involved; but also to the fact that the plants -- grown under sterile conditions -- have little competition whatsoever from other organisms . . .

i'm still interested in experimenting i have a couple hundred seedlings and plenty of hormones on hand, and the seedlings are being grown in pure vermiculite, with a hepa filter in the enclosure so the presence of other organisms should be low. just as a side note i have made quite a few non-branching plants produce 8 or more branches after treatments with BAP while control plants show minimal if any growth during the test period and these plants were all well past maturity, only reason i bring this up is that i personally think the different hormones can have a significant effect on plants throughout the span of there lives.

. . . just as a side note i have made quite a few non-branching plants produce 8 or more branches after treatments with BAP while control plants show minimal if any growth during the test period and these plants were all well past maturity, only reason i bring this up is that i personally think the different hormones can have a significant effect on plants throughout the span of there lives.

If the plants were all produced from seed, the inherent variability associated with seed could explain that. I regularly have seed trays were the size of the plants vary threefold, if not more; and all were treated identically . . .

If the plants were all produced from seed, the inherent variability associated with seed could explain that. I regularly have seed trays were the size of the plants vary threefold, if not more; and all were treated identically . . .

a perfect example of why control groups are standard practice in science... i'm just going to experiment and post my results.

heres the plan :

4 groups of 30 plants with 1 control group.
i just applied 25ppm,15ppm,10ppm,and 5ppm benzylamino purine respesctively to each of the groups except for the control group wich is being grown as normal.
all groups will be monitored for changes in size number of leaves and survival rate.
i will post pictures of the results, and try the same experiment using gibberellic acid,and brassinolide at a later date.

Nice experiment. I'll be interested in the results.

Sounds fun; good luck . . .

thanks, just a quick update none of the plants are showing negative effects from the spray. usually i notice wilted/browning leaves on BAP sensitive plants within 6 hours, if all continues to go well over the next couple of days i am going to expand the range of the tests to cover all the way up to 100ppm BAP to increase my chances of having successful results. If anyone else would be interested in contributing to the experiment i would be willing to supply the hormones required all i ask is that you post your results here.

Back