What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew leaf cutting success.

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
This past summer, I obtained a D. filiformis "Florida Giant," the real thing this time for those who know the story of my other D. filiformis unknowns. Just before the plant went into dormancy, I cut the last good leaf it had to try and propagate more and thought I would share the result, pics taken a couple days ago. I first floated them in distilled water, then moved to wet LFS when the strikes appeared and before roots formed.

Click image for larger view
IMG_4391.jpgIMG_4389x1.jpgIMG_4391x1.jpg

This is a pic of a Drosophylum flower stalk I cut and stuck in wet moss in mid summer to see what would happen, and this is the result of that.

Click image for larger view
IMG_4417x1.jpg

Side shoots from the drosophylum flower stalk have rooted? Most interesting if they have

Side shoots from the drosophylum flower stalk have rooted? Most interesting if they have

I have not checked in a while, but the last time I pulled it up, a few weeks ago, it had still not rooted. I am thinking about taking it out and putting into a regular droso mix to see if that will encourage root growth as may be too wet where it is at now.

The 'Florida Giant' strikes look good and it looks like you will have lots of new plants before long. 'Nicely done. The Drosophyllum plantlets... So mysterious that they could even continue without roots. I wish you success in getting them to produce some.

Awesome! I didn't know you could propagate Drosophyllum like that.

Awesome! I didn't know you could propagate Drosophyllum like that.

I don't think you can, just got bored one day and stuck a couple spent flower stalks in moss as they were forming side shoots while on the plant, and they kept growing. I really don't consider it propagating as no roots have formed and I suspect they will die when taken out of the wet media, but worth a try.

Cool moss in that pic! And very nice job! I hope I can do this with a few of my dews one day. Was it easy? How long did the entire process take?

Cool moss in that pic! And very nice job! I hope I can do this with a few of my dews one day. Was it easy? How long did the entire process take?

I don't have any experience with tropical dews, but with temperate dews it is very easy to propagate from cuttings. I floated these in distilled water until I saw plantlets forming, then put them in wet LFS and will slowly reduce the water level to encourage proper root growth and then pot them up in regular media. I did not document how long it took, but probably around a month or so to see plantlets forming. I have them on an open shelf about 12" from the shop light at the moment.

Normally I take dew cuttings during the growing season and nestle them down in the live moss that grows from peat in pots outside in full sun with a high water level and forget about them, so I really don't know exactly how long it takes, but I would guess maybe 3-4 weeks or so. I only used the water-floating method and LFS with these filiformis FG dews as it was near the end of the growing season and I needed to propagate them inside...and real wet peat does not work well for me inside the house due to fungus and rotting issues.

Back