What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algae/Bacteria in Peat?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
There is this brown algae, maybe not even algae... Perhaps it is a bacteria. It is brown and it grows on top of the peat. I think I also have some of the same stuff growing in the water of my bog trays, it is like a film on the surface of the water. I don't know what it is or if it is harmful. It is in 7 pots of gemmae that have sprouted and are growing strong and all of my sarr seed pots. All I have to do to get rid of it is spray it with a bit of water from the squirt bottle, but it comes back.

Not sure how to get rid of it. It is even growing in the water in one of my seed germination terrariums inside the house... It doesn't grow in live sphagnum, just on peat basically.

How dry can my pygmy drosera get? They are freshly sprouted, maybe about two weeks since they popped up. I don't want to kill them by taking their pots out of the terrarium filled with an inch of water. What can I do about this?

Sometimes you get cyanobacteria that grow on the top. You can scrape it off, but I haven't found a way to get rid of it long term. I use utrics to keep my pots clean, they typically eat and out-compete anything that could hurt my dews.

Sometimes you get cyanobacteria that grow on the top. You can scrape it off, but I haven't found a way to get rid of it long term. I use utrics to keep my pots clean, they typically eat and out-compete anything that could hurt my dews.

Utrics won't stop algae/bacteria though... Plus, they're in tiny seedling pots.

Back