What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. x multifida

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Several weeks ago a hobbyist sent me a bunch of D. x multifida plants and they are now sending up flower stalks. If my understanding is correct, either I won't get seeds or of I do, the seeds would be sterile. Is that correct? Since I have several plants, can I successfully hand / cross-pollinate and get seeds and viable plants?

I've never heard of the hybrid D. x multifida. Are you sure you're not referring to D. binata multifida, aka D. multifida? If not, what are the parents of this hybrid?

D. binata multifida is the plant.

Ah, okay, in that case, the plants are not self-compatible, but crossing different clones will result in viable seed. Hybrids between the different binata varieties I believe still result in viable seeds as well, like 'Marston Dragon'.

Okay, then I'll let them flower and have a hand-pollinating party!

The multi forking forms apparently are self incompatible. The giant forms might be tetraploids. Sterile hybrids between the forms apparently are triploid. And thus have an incompatible chromosome number

Colchicine :devil:

Back