What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upgrade: D. schizandra

Been needing to find something larger for my D. schizandra collection. And today I found just the thing..
Growing conditions can be kept exactly the same, just on a larger scale.

This is the new container. Had to remove the light, since it didn't work. And removed the base, since it wasn't necessary without the light.

IMG_3939_zpsd50ee724.jpg

pre-rehousing. The plants had BIG thick roots hitting the bottom of the pot, so guess it really was time.

IMG_3940_zpsde39a9c9.jpg

IMG_3941_zpsf1205847.jpg

all nestled in..

IMG_3945_zps44b2d1d2.jpg

gumball machine? wonder if the roots start new plantlets if exposed to light. I need to test with mine...

gumball machine? wonder if the roots start new plantlets if exposed to light. I need to test with mine...

My girl's first fish tank.
I'd imagine so.. that's the easiest way to propagate.

Jerry, your's is the middle child. Just FYI...

'Good-looking plants. The new container should allow for lots of root expansion.

'Good-looking plants. The new container should allow for lots of root expansion.

thanks buddy.
hoping its chuck full of plants within the next year or two.

Lookin' mighty fine Trav.

Can't believe I'm already able to update this thread..

added some D. prolifera, which started flowering the first day inside.

IMG_3969.jpg

and discovered these kids today!

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

Wow mass. Looks like re-potting was exactly what they needed.

Wow mass. Looks like re-potting was exactly what they needed.

I'd say so.. those plantlets weren't even noticeable 10 days ago when I repotted these guys.

Hi Mass,
What temps do you keep the tank at?

Great looking plants! Wonderful job man.
Andrew

Archer: I keep the tank as warm as low 80*s, and as cool as mid 50*s. Standard HL conditions..

Thanks Andrew!

Here's a few pics of the tank as of today:

IMG_4101_zps7e569962.jpg

IMG_4100_zps55d3502a.jpg

slowest sundew ever when it comes to flowering..

IMG_4099_zps123d272e.jpg

Nice schiz mass, good work on getting it to flower.

Awesome setup! Do they self-pollinate?

??? beats me..

Awesome setup! Do they self-pollinate?
Apparently not on self-pollination & I've seen arguments on both sides of whether they are self-fertile. ???

Apparently not on self-pollination & I've seen arguments on both sides of whether they are self-fertile. ???

pollen and stigma mature in different time frames to prevent self pollination. The term for this is dichogamous. Sort of like D. regia.

"Drosera regia flowers. The flowers are self fertile but the stigmas and anthers mature at different times. You need two flowers open at the same time to successfully pollinate them. To quote Lois Ochs: use "yesterday's pollen on today's stigma". "

good ol' Lois..

So this flower would just be for show eh'? Debating on chopping it to save plant strength..
Does it really make much of a difference either way? Plant seems plenty strong enough to flower without a hitch in growth.

Thanks to mass i as well have schiz. and now have all 3. Is it possible to hybridize any of the 3?

Back