What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrid Vigor - post your hybrid pics.

My Capensis (Bainskloof) and Hercules X Self. Not Hybrid but Drosera just the same. I have several more but thought I would share these 2 for now.

Attachments

• 20231027_165928.jpg
    20231027_165928.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231027_165931.jpg
    20231027_165931.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 3
'Thought I'd throw out these photos of two of my current favorite sundew hybrids.

m-PA101081.jpg

Drosera esterhuyseniae x slackii This one is a never-failing performer, always looking good no matter what the temps. Whether in mid-winter cold or the heat of summer I often take a minute to admire it when I'm watering.

Drosera 'Andromeda' Big and impressive, this cross is vigorous and sure to please any Drosera lover.

'Thought I'd throw out these photos of two of my current favorite sundew hybrids.

m-PA101081.jpg

Drosera esterhuyseniae x slackii This one is a never-failing performer, always looking good no matter what the temps. Whether in mid-winter cold or the heat of summer I often take a minute to admire it when I'm watering.

Drosera 'Andromeda' Big and impressive, this cross is vigorous and sure to please any Drosera lover.
Pretty Andromeda!!. Is that a "ghost" ?.
Thank you for sharing your pics!.

@FrankenSnyder, really putting on some size! Beautiful plants @bluemax :drool: I finally got adelae and prolifera back in my collection!
I potted up a bunch of seed I had in the fridge mostly dated around 2016. This one is D. ultramafica x spatulata. Doing some searches I saw a number of conversations here regarding this cross so I assume it's a self of that plant and not an original cross. Maybe it came from @Not a Number 🤷‍♂️
20240119_102832.jpg

Pretty Andromeda!!. Is that a "ghost" ?.
In my indoor terrarium the lights are set up for "normal" sundews so they're a bit bright for 'Andromeda'. This makes the plants lose some color, though they don't seem to suffer much otherwise. In dimmer conditions they show much more red on the tentacles and deeper green in the leaves.

This one is D. ultramafica x spatulata. Doing some searches I saw a number of conversations here regarding this cross so I assume it's a self of that plant and not an original cross. Maybe it came from @Not a Number. 🤷‍♂️

That's a find and fun to get old seeds to produce new plants. NaN certainly did get some interesting crosses. It will be cool to see what they look like when they're mature.

Mark, I only sowed some of the seed, let me know if you want some (since I have some growing) ;)
I just found D. eloisiana, I should sow that too... Doing research, it looks like that's the same hybrid (different clone I guess?) ( rotundifolia x intermedia) as "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster" mentioned prior in this thread!

In my indoor terrarium the lights are set up for "normal" sundews so they're a bit bright for 'Andromeda'. This makes the plants lose some color, though they don't seem to suffer much otherwise. In dimmer conditions they show much more red on the tentacles and deeper green in the leaves.
Ohhh, I see. Thank you!. Here are mine. ☺️

Attachments

• 17057112048474102948016775564854.jpg
    17057112048474102948016775564854.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2
Mark, I only sowed some of the seed, let me know if you want some (since I have some growing) ;)
I just found D. eloisiana, I should sow that too... Doing research, it looks like that's the same hybrid (different clone I guess?) ( rotundifolia x intermedia) as "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster" mentioned prior in this thread!
I hope you get a nice Terror Form you like. Cold stratify the seed for a month or more.

Thanks for the reminder!!

I see @hcarlton has some nice photos of Dr. FrankenSnyder's Monster:

Random pics

Hawken, did they ever flower for you? Never did for me. John Brittnacher is the only person I know who was able to and got seed.

I've never seen flowers. Might change once I get a new pot for them shortly, but I've also never seen flowers on several of my other similar temperate hybrids so wouldn't expect much yet.
Also since I'm in here: that "ultramafica x spatulata cross," if plants originated from the "Hartmeyer" line, are just spatulata. I have a true version, both ways, being raised up right now, and if it goes as I suspect then the flowers will be sterile much like typical spatulata x oblanceolata or x neocaledonica are.

I’ve seen your nice photos of ultramafica. I look forward to your hybridizing results. Here’s a hybrid I made of two distinct D. spatulata varieties: D. spatulata var. gympiensis x Blackdown Tablelands, QLD Australia. Photo shot by Robert Gibson.
Dspat Gymp x BDT.JPG

Thanks bluemax. It’s a good model hybrid. Distinctive, and clearly a hybrid. It will no doubt be sterile. A number of hybrids I’ve made I was not sure what the outcome would be. @hcarlton, what spatulata did you cross with ultramafica? I’m thinking we should cross with var. gympiensis. Would be a nice looking plant. Worth growing even if it proves not up to your expectation in regard to fertility. I bet it would be fertile.

Last edited:
I would have to go down and check the labels, I haven't photographed them yet so I don't have records on the computer. Most likely was one of my big white-flowered forms.
I base my expectation of them being infertile on the fact that ultramafica is not much more related to spatulata than oblanceolata and neocaledonica are (all the same little clade), and crossing the latter two with spatulata has already proven to make infertile hybrids (and I prefer sterile hybrids because they're not liable to pot-jump or backcross and muddle things among the pots, so it's not a bad thing for it to end up being so).

Good work. I hope you can publish your results.

Photo shot today. Good thick flower stalk. I’m considering Colchicine treating to make it fertile. A possible future noxious pot jumping weed, Drosera noxiousa.
D. x obrev 2.9.24.jpg

Back