What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Adelae, The Trouble with Yellow Pots

Well, I learned a valuable lesson. I finally got around to repotting (really controlling) my drosera adelae. It's coming up on three years now and this is the second repotting I've done.
Louisiana summer heat was scorching the leaves so I moved it inside after it stopped producing dew. The older leaves never recovered. In fact, each new leaf would just shrivel up and die but a new sucker would pop up.
Well, I didn't expect this when I repotted but only two were actually producing dew, I think I found out why.

Excuse the horrible quality, my camera was having a hard time adjusting to the shaded balcony and afternoon sun. I knew their roots were sensitive to light but geez, this was even at the very bottom of the pot!
Moral of the story: Avoid light colored pots -_-

IMG_20130630_112123.jpg
IMG_20130630_113028.jpg

IMG_20130630_112915.jpg

IMG_20130630_113827.jpg

IMG_20130630_115414.jpg

thats just crazy!

More plants growing from the roots?!?!?!

My favorite drosera. You got 20 plants or so from repotting. More if you count all the little root babies!

More plants growing from the roots?!?!?!

Ha, that's nice. I have a binata giant that did that and seems to be doing more of it again now. Had two random sprouts from nowhere last few weeks. My adelae giant almost died and three plants grew from under the husk. I used a dark pot though so mine came up out of the old crown it seems.

KKPsi08, yes! From what I understand, when adelae roots are exposed to light, they produce runners/suckers that become new plants. I suppose the yellow pot was bright enough to do this.
Jcal, I know! I wish I had more pots to use for giveaways, I may try to find some today and save the remaining bits from the rootball -- I saved 2-3 decent sized babies.
Gigantea, I saw your thread, great work! I hope my repotted ones do fine.

Wow! I need to pick up some D. adelae again.

Adelae will produce new plants UNDERWATER at the bottom of water trays. It happens to me all the time. I do not repot mine, they are SO prolific I let them run wild. They are like weeds for me.

this 9 x 13" tray started as 1 plant.

Um... So, avoid light-colored pots since they amplify reflected light onto the plants' roots, which turn into new plants? I need to get a Drosera adelae and try this!

Tommyr,
White flowers?? I want one!

All of mine are red. Awesome collection. I love this plant. It's very underrated.

NO! Light colored pots are GOOD! They REFLECT light keeping the pots COOLER. Adelae liikes bright INDIRECT Sun. That means BRIGHT light but very little direct Sun. They can take SOME Sun but very early morning or very late afternoon only. Roots get NO light, they're under the soil! Roots grow different from above the soil conditions. Without good root growth the top growth will not do well. ANY plant that is not doing well probably has a bad root system.

The white flowers are not white but red. The camera flash made them white.

KKPsi08, yes! From what I understand, when adelae roots are exposed to light, they produce runners/suckers that become new plants. I suppose the yellow pot was bright enough to do this.
Jcal, I know! I wish I had more pots to use for giveaways, I may try to find some today and save the remaining bits from the rootball -- I saved 2-3 decent sized babies.
Gigantea, I saw your thread, great work! I hope my repotted ones do fine.
Being new to this it's great to see the things you read about during research actually happen. That's how I felt when my leaf cuttings got strikes. That's amazing

i think this has more to do with the pot being partially transparent and not that it is yellow

Back