What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serial Killing slugs

Recently, my VFT and sundew died with an unknown culprit.
I noticed in the past week that my Butterwort and one pot of my Pitcher Plant seedlings have began to decline.
I decided today would repot the butterwort! I discovered strange slug like things on the roots and in the leaves. They are reeeaally small, some are clear with this dark line in the middle of it, and others are dark gray colored. I thoroughly rinsed the roots and flicked off the visible bugs.
Any of you know what they could be? And what could I use to depose of them?
Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. Do you have a pic of the culprits?

Baby slugs wiped out over half my sarr seedlings this year. Apparently, they hatched out from the peat I used. I tried using slug bait pellets, but they did not seem interested in eating those and prefered the new seedlings instead. The seedling inserts are in large water trays outside, so what I had to do was go out every night with a flashlight and pick out the slugs by hand, nasty job but saved some seedlings. Slugs also love to munch on the temperate pings in the bog and new sarr growth in spring, but I control slugs in the bog with Worry Free slug bait that is safe to use around pets and that seems to work well.

If they're that small, and have dark lines down the middle, and tend to be under the soil surface, I doubt they are slugs, but instead fungus gnat larvae. They eat plant roots and soft tissues that lie on the soil surface. They are easily removed with most insecticides that contain neem oils, pyrethrins, etc.

I really don't think that picture is going to work.
But look at the "i" key on your keyboard. They are all that width, and that length if not shorter. I cant ever see the slug eyes (as in how they pop out). I'm not completely confident in the identification of the buggers being slugs.
I was expressing my frustration to my mother today, she said that slugs love beer, but it's lethal to them. You could always try that as a backup plan, since they really like your seedlings. Just a little bottle cap full!
I almost wonder how she knew that.
I will definitely try the slug bait first. I'm glad it's safe around pets. I have three geckos, a frog and a bunny in my room. With lots more critters down the hallway and downstairs. My house is like a zoo, but free!

If they're that small, and have dark lines down the middle, and tend to be under the soil surface, I doubt they are slugs, but instead fungus gnat larvae. They eat plant roots and soft tissues that lie on the soil surface. They are easily removed with most insecticides that contain neem oils, pyrethrins, etc.

AHH HAA! That's what they are! I had a feeling they weren't slugs (as already stated). I will need to get some new insecticide. My current one seems to be insufficient/ it never worked on these. Brand suggestions?

You could take a potato, make little slices and place them on the soil surface and leave it on the soil over night. The larva evidently come up to nibble on that. I tried it once before I placed my silica sand top layer on my plants, which keeps the adults from laying their eggs.

I had fungus gnat larvae kill several of my pings back when I still used peat in their media. They look like tiny little sluggy maggots...

Buy some mosquito dunks.. http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Dunks-116-12-8-Ounce-Quick/dp/B0001LE1VC/ref=pd_sim_lg_2 these granular forms are good for smaller bodies of water such as our water trays for our plants(versus ponds).. Follow directions, add to your water source, no more gnats or larvae.

gnat larvae kills many of my vft and sarracenia seedlings last year! They eat the roots.

Sorry for your plants :/

When I first potted up my baby cephalotus I noticed after a few days these little slug things peeking out from the crowns. I put a very bright lamp over them to see better and it seemed to flush then out because 8-9 surfaced. I took a pair of tweezers and plucked them all out. Waited a bit... Plucked out a few more. I then loosely sprinkled seven dust over the soil surface to kill off any remainders. Didn't hurt my cephalotus and I havent had any issues since. But that was an early infestation... Yours may be beyond what I did.

Back