What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats wrong with my drosera roraimae? or me

i have always had lots of trouble growing drosera roraimae, the first time i recieved a seedling it died and now i have bought a new more mature drosera roraimae from the summit of mount roraima but im having trouble growing it, i have it growing in artificial fluorescent lighting, it gets around 10+ hours of light a day and i use peat moss and silica sand as its medium, the soil is slightly moist to prevent root rot what am i doing wrong? very little growth has happened since i recieved the plant and the new leaves are undeveloped with a slight burn to them as soon as they come out, so i moved the plant to the windowsill but i removed it from fear of it burning out. :( help me i want to enjoy my sundew and want it to grow beautiful and full of dew could it be that room temperature is too high? or maybe do i need more humidity? i have thought of raising the humidity but im afraid of placing the sundew inside a container and that it dies from heat exhaustion or rot has anyone experienced this? very slow growth :(

This seems to be working for me with this species but I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else. I have the plant on the tray watering system with a low level of water always available. The humidity is usually between 60 and 80%. The medium I use is long-fibered sphagnum moss mixed with perlite. The lighting is bright but only moderately so under T5 florescent tubes. The temperatures range from the mid-60's to the high 80's F. and rarely a little beyond though many days are cooler. Under these conditions my plant is growing at a fairly moderate rate for a sundew. If you are seeing burning on your plant's leaves it is definitely getting more light than it can handle. I doubt the higher temps that mine see are necessary but I suspect the humidity is. Perhaps others have different experiences.

'Hope this helps.

i use peat moss and silica sand as its medium
When I first received mine, I planted it in a peat-based media & it refused to grow. I switched to LFS media & it is a weed.

could it be that room temperature is too high?
What temps does the plant see? The massive heat wave we've been experiencing has hit my plants hard & stressed them (I suspect I will lose at least some of them).

I dont grow that specie, but i saw somewhere that you need a good temperature drop at night, like 7-10C. I suggest 24C/day and 16C/night. Maybe?

Cheers

D. raoraimae is a plant that could be considered "highland." That means while it might like high light levels, once acclimated, yes, it will also need cooler temps at the same time.
On another note, seeing now that people have had problems with them in peat moss, I regret sowing my seeds on such a mix. my first problem: any recommendations on how to get them to sprout? Mine do nothing.

69772af5-c009-4176-a17e-e54e7d0fcb10.jpg

@hcarlton: word on the street is that the seed needs to be heat stratified to germinate. others say that the seed needs to be rubbed against an abrasive surface to reduce germination wait time. personally, i would go the fine sand paper route and give the seeds a nice GA3 bath before sowing. otherwise...dont hold your breath, it's gonna take a while.

here is an image i took, this morning i changed the medium into long fiber sphagnum i hope it improves! thanks everyone for the replies, the tempeartures here in southern california are hot around 85 degrees average room temperature but when winter comes around theyre typically around 60 degrees, if the sundew improves ill post another image!

85F is what's killing them. they typically do not see anything above 75F in the wild and at nights, the temps drop down to 45F.... humidity is also an issue. maybe adding live LFS will increase the relative RH in the pot.

85F is what's killing them. they typically do not see anything above 75F in the wild and at nights, the temps drop down to 45F.... humidity is also an issue. maybe adding live LFS will increase the relative RH in the pot.

thanks man! luckily i have some live sphagnum moss ill put some ASAP, as for the cold, fall season is just around the corner im hoping they make it! im guessing this will be a seasonal issue

Highland plants are very harsh....may take months to recover. And by the time when it fully recovers, it will be summer again, and the plant will go into further decline. I strongly suggest a cool basement in the meantime. best of luck.

Dunno, I just grew 'em on my windowsill in winter and out on the balcony late spring through early fall. They did great except the flowers would always abort. Got hit by a unexpected cold snap in early October and they never recovered from it.

@hcarlton: word on the street is that the seed needs to be heat stratified to germinate. others say that the seed needs to be rubbed against an abrasive surface to reduce germination wait time. personally, i would go the fine sand paper route and give the seeds a nice GA3 bath before sowing. otherwise...dont hold your breath, it's gonna take a while.

Thanks for the info, now just to find the seeds in that pot then.... :D

Back