What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on my bog regia

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I have tried and failed to grow regia in the house, so when a generous donor supplied me with a few small regia I planted them in the bog outside since I had luck with another one out there year-round in the past. They were tiny plants when I got them earlier this year and I lost one to slugs. The larger one I tried growing in the house, but it was failing so went out to the bog in an attempt to save it. They seemed to be struggling a bit and growth was slow, so I put Osmocote around them last month and they seem to really be taking off in growth now.

The tiny one about a month after planting in the bog
9427766885_2ea4a10044_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The house one a couple weeks after planting in the bog
9430608618_829f98bdbe_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is what the two look like today
9427767195_2e4cb62100_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9427766973_23bc4d2f83_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Edit: :crap: I know I posted to the wrong forum and have asked Admin to move it since I don't know how to do this myself.

Last edited:
looks like their settling right in!

As you know Dj I am very interested in seeing how they do for you. A very cool experiment!

looks like their settling right in!

They hated me in the house and lost their will to live, now it is like they are sticking their tongues out at me and liking being ignored in the bog, although I still sneak a stare now and then.

As you know Dj I am very interested in seeing how they do for you. A very cool experiment!

Good, double fingers crossed, lol.

Looking good, planning to leave them out through the winter?

Looking good, planning to leave them out through the winter?

That is the plan. The bog is 24" deep and they are far from the edge. Regia roots go deep and I think the mass of the bog and a light mulching will protect the roots from freezing. They will die back to soil level over winter and hoping they will sprout again from the roots in spring as my other one did. I also grow D. capensis year-round in the bog and they do the same thing, only I don't mulch them. The alternative is to bring them in to certain death in the house. I will post an update in spring on whether they made it or not.

For those who may be wondering, I did not seek out to acquire any more regia knowing I don't have the proper inside conditions to grow them, was done trying with this species actually. These came as bare-root "extras" along with a shipment of sarrs I received and I gave away all but the three smallest to people who had the proper conditions to grow them.

Here is a pic of the first one I had in the bog, taken in 2011 I believe. It was a small seedling when I got it and the person who gave it to me wanted to know how it would fare growing in my bog. It did well until I dug it up and moved it the third year, RIP.

9428364413_397169ba5e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Was a stuning regia, rip to your plant :/

Regia has always seemed to be a pretty easy plant for me to grow indoors in my terrarium... It will likely never reach it's potential, but it's steadily acquiring more leaves that get longer. I don't provide any kind of special temp control for it though it receives a slight night drop naturally.

I wish I could set up a bog, yours is so nice! Bugs and critters would just devastate that here.

Back