What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. nidiformis forming hibernacula?

I bought a couple plants this summer labeled D. nidiformis, which have been growing nicely alongside my D. capillaris and D. tracyi, but, thanks to the cold weather, seem to be forming hibernacula. Is this actually possible with this species? Or is it likely I have something else mislabeled as D. nidiformis?

Grow Sundews does not indicate any such behavior - http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Drosera_nidiformis.html - nor do any of our favorite books - Savage Garden, etc.

I'd take pictures but all the leaves have died off at this point and hibernacula have formed. Previously, the leaves did seem to have the same shape as D. nidiformis.

Thanks for the help!

If you have pictures of the plants in active growth it would help. It is possible they are D. intermedia which will go dormant with winter buds. D. nidiformis usually dies down to the roots in cold winters. I put some in the refrigerator. It came back in the spring.

Sounds like you may have intermedia or x anglica. Do you have photos ?

Oops, sorry everyone. I figured it out. I had switched my D. intermedia and D. nidiformis labels and, since they were so far apart, didn't realize it. So, it was D. intermedia after all.

Back