Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Location information

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the name of the lake would suffice. Chances are that the plants will just self seed but, if you're growing them outside you'll have to keep them at safe distance away from other locales, net them off or maybe try applying a mild insect repellant while the plants are in flower to ensure pollen pirates don't spread unwanted dna around on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much! They're from Lake Ainsworth, a similar environment to the Drosera found on Fraser Island I believe.
    I do grow outside, I might just snip the flower stalks off if I have more than one location to prevent accidental crossing and flower them indoors if I want to collect seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always just propagate from leaf cuttings too and forgo the seeds altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    You can always just propagate from leaf cuttings too and forgo the seeds altogether.
    Good idea! The only advantage of seed over vegetative propagation I can see is that I can trade seeds more easily with other growers.

I have harvested a fair few pods now and am allowing them to dry out. If I was to offer them up here for a trade, how many seeds should be included in a packet?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An average pack of Drosera seeds should contain about 50-150 seeds per pack. And from experience I'd say it's better to let seed pods ripen on the stalk and collect seeds when they start to turn black/open up. That way you can be sure the seeds fully ripen.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much!

Yep, have been removing the pods from the stalks as they turn brown, we've had a bit of rain though so I do need to dry them out so they don't mold.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so about the same method I use (except I just have to worry about greenhouse humidity, not rain).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast