Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Location information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Location information

Hey all,

I have some D. spatulata setting seed at the moment, they're from plants I collected with permission from where they grow in the wild. Is this location information important to be kept with the seed? Also, does location information make them more desirable?

Matt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's always important to keep location data whenever possible. With the amount of habitat loss that occurs, those plants you collected could end up being the only relics of the species from that area. Many growers are also fanatical about obtaining locality specific plants especially when trying to create community mini-bogs or other displays of plants indigenous to a specific region.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not important to me in the least but as stated, some love to have that info

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also many species from different localities often exhibit characteristics unique to the location. You'll often see several listings of a particular species on vendors lists listing individual locales. I can think of examples of this in just about every genera of carnivorous plant. Some examples of this would be Sarracenia leucophylla from Hurricane Creek which tend to be much whiter than other populations, Nepenthes fusca from the Crocker Range which have distinctly narrower pitchers, there is (or rather was) a population of Drosera rotundifolia from Skagitt Co. WA which are notably larger than your average rotundifolia plants from elsewhere and a population of Utricularia macrohiza from a single lake in NH which have white flowers instead of yellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnophobe View Post
    Hey all,

I have some D. spatulata setting seed at the moment, they're from plants I collected with permission from where they grow in the wild. Is this location information important to be kept with the seed? Also, does location information make them more desirable?

Matt
    Yes and Yes.

I don't even bother looking at common plants like D. spathulata unless location data is attached to them. D. spathulata is pretty widely variable and knowing the location that the plants originate from helps determine if it is a plant that is worth adding to your collection, or if it's one you already have.

And everything Cthulhu138 said ^^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the prompt reply. I'll ensure I keep that location data then. These plants are smaller that the D. spatulata I've observed growing in most other areas around here and they're also white flowered rather than pink.
    I might collect some seed then to see if I can't trade for some new species. How specific does the location information need to be?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, perfect example of why you should keep location data with the plants. Keep it as specific as possible. I wouldn't go adding gps coordinates or anything but, "Wright's Pond Medford, MA" (as an example) would work sufficiently. You could also be less specific to help preserve a population of possibly desirable plants from potential poaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would the name of the lake be sufficient? They're not all found directly on the lake but I found them mostly within a kilometer of the lake. If I am keeping several different locations if them in the future as well, how do I ensure they aren't cross pollinated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast