What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have the following drosera and was wondering if they will remain viable: d. natalensis, d. filiformis FL Giant, d. intermedia, d. capillaris long arm. I would like to get big pots and grow them outside next spring. But if the seeds won't remain viable, i need to know that and will get them started inside. If they will remain viable what is the best way to store them: just in the house, fridge, or where? If there is anything i am missing or if you have some suggestions shoot them my way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

monkey_Cup

possible to store most drosera seeds in the refrigerator for about 4 years. Dunno how the natalensis or capillaris will do exposed to freezing temp. The other plants should be making hibernacula to prepare for the onset of winter. I would guess those seeds would also have a means to deal with freezing.......

Hey Kulamauiman

Thanks for the info, do you think it will be fine to store seeds in a pill bottle or baggy, or do i need to put it in a wet paper towel. Thanks for the info.

possible to store most drosera seeds in the refrigerator for about 4 years. Dunno how the natalensis or capillaris will do exposed to freezing temp. The other plants should be making hibernacula to prepare for the onset of winter. I would guess those seeds would also have a means to deal with freezing.......

store dry. i don't think they need stratification. But I don't grow a lot of temperate species. Might want to make small envelopes with waxed paper. then 4-6 weeks before planting stratify the temperate species......

awesome, once again thanks for the info

I started some I've had at least 6 years a few weeks ago, that were stored in the fridge. Germinated fine :)

The filiformis, intermedia and capillaris will all need stratification. I'm sure that some will germinate without it but you'll have much better results with a cold strat of a few months.

dunno about the capillaris "Long arm" tha tone germinated fine for me without.... But it doesn't like to be enclosed when it germinates. wanted more "airy" conditions...

Capillaris needs no stratification, it's more of a subtropical plant. Even forms that grow through the US never make hibernacula, though they can still take light frosts. The D. natalensis may survive along side, but it's a little more tropical than even capillaris so I'm thinking it won't take Oklahoma winters. The rest will need a 4 week stratification, and should do fine.

thanks everyone for the information, i appreciate your time and input.
hcarlton, i took the natalensis on a trade, the guy i got it from said that he has taken them to 32, which would be at least a light frost. so they are an expiriment, if they make it great, but if i loose them, well i just loose them. But thats the fun part about this hobby, of getting to try stuff, and win some lose some. Again thanks to all for the info.

If it's actually natalensis, though, I'd err on the side of keeping at least some indoors. the true D. natalensis is apparently not that common in the US at least, compared to its easily found cousin D. dielsiana.

very interesting h, i will have to check mine and see where i lie, on this matter.

Back